Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No programs at login items, yet programs still open at startup.

I just updated my macbook to osx maverick from snow leopard and now my startup is very slow because programs automatically open. I've already gone into system preferences and removed all applications from the login items, yet programs still open at startup. I've noticed this only happens when I shut down the computer with applications still open (i close all windows, but the applications are still open). I used to do this all the time with snow leopard and programs don't open up at startup. Is this just a feature in osx maverick? How do I turn this off.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 11:27 AM

Hi there muff1nking,

When you logout/shutdown/restart you will see a confirmation window where you will find the checkbox labled “Reopen windows when logging back in” that is usually checked default. When you uncheck this, only the applications designated in your login items will launch. The article below has more information.

OS X Lion: Log out of your account

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4029

-Griff W.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2013 11:27 AM in response to muff1nking

Hi there muff1nking,

When you logout/shutdown/restart you will see a confirmation window where you will find the checkbox labled “Reopen windows when logging back in” that is usually checked default. When you uncheck this, only the applications designated in your login items will launch. The article below has more information.

OS X Lion: Log out of your account

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4029

-Griff W.

Nov 3, 2013 6:06 PM in response to muff1nking

Mavericks will reload all open programs that you had open when you shut down the computer. You have to turn this feature off in System Preferences > General and then you check the box "Close Windows When quitting an Application". Also make sure that the "Reopen Windows when Logging Back in" box is unchecked when you shut down your computer.

No programs at login items, yet programs still open at startup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.