Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

intermittent screen flicker

I have a macbook pro retina mid 2012.

Over the past 3-4 months I've noticed a brief intermittent flickering of the screen. It affects the entire screen & lasts for 1 second only and then everything is back to normal. I had a disatrous experience with my first macbook, so I'm worried about this mac. Could this be a software issue? Does anybody have any ideas or experience of this issue, or should I just go to the genius bar?

Thanks

Mac Pro, core i7

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 10:19 PM

5 replies

Nov 6, 2013 5:54 PM in response to drjawad

It's funny, mine was doing that as well and at least over the past week it's not done it? I have the Early 2013 Retina MacBook Pro and I used Mountain Lion until Mavericks developer preview was released. It wasn't long after that when I started to see the problem. I assumed back then it was an OS issue and that Apple would have it worked out by the final release. To my surprise I still had the issue after I did a clean install of the OS. I've read a few accounts that people had taken their machines in for repair only to get them back with the same problem even after a logic board replacement. I even read a post from someone who said they had the whole display assembly replaced along with the logic board and still had this issue. Furthermore, I've read a story or two that suggests that Apple may have overlooked an RF issue. The theory with this was that the WiFi antennas in the display bezel were interfering with LCD controller thereby causing the display to flicker. In one instance someone suggested that this problem was most noticeable when the WiFi AP was operating on channel 1. It went on to say they did not notice any issues if they changed their WiFi AP to channel 6. If you happen to see your display doing this I might suggest you press the "option" key on your keyboard and click on your WiFi icon on the task bar. This among other things will display what channel you're currently using. If you're on channel 1 and know how to change your AP's channel selection to 6 or 11 I would try to do that to see if that corrects the problem. Even if it fixes the problem to me it's not acceptable to have to make these changes. I would let Apple know what you found out and that you would like to have the issue rectifiied. If it is truly an RF issue I would bet Apple is fully aware of the issue and have some type of fix that will need to be implamented. Please let me know how things work out for you and by all means feel free to reply to this message.

User uploaded file

Nov 16, 2013 9:38 AM in response to csupinski

I was having a flickering problem also with my Macbook Pro retina 13 inch (late 2012). It would usually only happen (intermittently) when I picked it up to move it to a different location. In the last month or so, it started flickering occasionally even when not being picked up...and it would only be 1-2 flickers, every now and then.

I have also read in other blogs/posts that the WiFi antennas in the display bezel interfere with the LCD controller causing the display to flicker...and the proposed solution was to replace the moherboard.

I pressed the "option" key on my keyboard and clicked on the WiFi icon on the task bar and noticed that my router was set to broadcast on channel 2 on the 2.4 GHz band. I changed the channel to 1, 6 and 11 and still had flickering when picking up my laptop. This is the bad news.

The good news is that I have a dual-band router (Netgear WNDR3700) and decided I would try the 5 GHz band on channel 153 -- the flickering is GONE ! This seems to have corrected the problem !

It has taken me 2-3 months of searching the web to find your solution. I never thought it would be so simple !

Thank you so much Csupinski !

intermittent screen flicker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.