Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPod shuffle 2

Trying to charge iPod shuffle 2 but nothing much happens when connected to the dock, all I get is three flashes of an orange light, can anyone help or advise what this means?

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 2:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 2:34 PM

Since this is a 2nd gen shuffle, and is not more than five or six years old at this point, a likely cause is a worn out battery.

However, if the shuffle still appears in iTunes when connected, you can try doing a Restore on it. The Restore button is on the shuffle Settings screen in iTunes. This will erase the iPod, reinstall its software, and set it to default settings.

Another possibility is that the USB connect is not providing enough power to operate the shuffle AND charge its battery. This could be caused by a problem on the computer's USB bus, or by having too many powered devices connected at the same time. As a test, shut down (power off) you computer, and disconnect all USB devices including hub, except for standard keyboard and mouse, if nornally used. Do this to reset the shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1655

If your computer is a laptop, connect it to its power adapter (so that it's not running on battery power). Start it up, run iTunes, and connect the shuffle to a direct USB port on the computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2013 2:34 PM in response to windy119

Since this is a 2nd gen shuffle, and is not more than five or six years old at this point, a likely cause is a worn out battery.

However, if the shuffle still appears in iTunes when connected, you can try doing a Restore on it. The Restore button is on the shuffle Settings screen in iTunes. This will erase the iPod, reinstall its software, and set it to default settings.

Another possibility is that the USB connect is not providing enough power to operate the shuffle AND charge its battery. This could be caused by a problem on the computer's USB bus, or by having too many powered devices connected at the same time. As a test, shut down (power off) you computer, and disconnect all USB devices including hub, except for standard keyboard and mouse, if nornally used. Do this to reset the shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1655

If your computer is a laptop, connect it to its power adapter (so that it's not running on battery power). Start it up, run iTunes, and connect the shuffle to a direct USB port on the computer.

Nov 4, 2013 10:30 AM in response to windy119

When i wanted to charge my ipod shuffle 2'nd gen on my laptop and wallcharger it didn't charge it just synced songs and its older than 5 years so i thout that the battery died and when i repaired my old pc that i used to charge it before i installed itunes on it and tried to charge and it was actually charging so i charge it on my old pc and sync my all music trough my laptop but it wont charge on laptop or wallcharger so if this helps try to charge it on desktop pc windows xp

Charging iPod shuffle 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.