Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks resizes application windows and moves them around

This problem has started since I installed Mavericks. Typically I have Firefox and Outlook loaded most of the time, occasionally other applications such as Spotify. My wife also has an account on the iMac, so she logs in, leaving me logged in. When I switch back to my account, the applications have resized themselves to odd small sizes, and Outlook is sometimes half-way off-screen and can't be moved (if I drag it back on-screen it just snaps back to the off-screen position).

I have found a way to prevent this, and this is to ensure my wife minimises the applications first. Strangely none of her applications (Firefox, Thunderbird, iTunes) move or resize.

Certainly a bug that's arrived with Mavericks, so Apple if you're reading this please fix it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 3:25 AM

156 replies

Nov 4, 2013 8:17 AM in response to CamberleyDaz

I have the same issue. I have a 2013 MBA, which never exhibited this problem before the Mavericks install. Since upgrading to Mavericks, when I lock my computer or when it auto-locks, it will randomly resize windows and put them in the upper left corner of the screen. If I drag them down they pop back up into the corner. I have to quit the application and then re-start it, then the windows appear at a different size in the middle of the screen.

This does not happen every time I lock the computer, and generally does not affect more than 5 applications, but it is really annoying. I have started leaving some applications closed that I normally have open.

It does not seem to matter how many or which applications I have open.

Normally open applications:

Outlook 2011

Mail

Chrome

Safari

Finder (2 windows)

BB Edit

Parallels

Word 2011

Excel 2011

iTunes

Address Book

Kindle

I typically have 10-20 application windows open at any one time. This has never been a problem in previous versions of OSX.

Nov 4, 2013 11:16 AM in response to CamberleyDaz

This issue has been happening to me and my co-worker since installing Mavericks.

I'm on a mid 2010 MBP (6,2) and he's on a a1466 Air.

I've seen this issue where a window will resize itself to a much smaller (usually thinner) size and more times than not, will place itself in a position where my mouse can not access the menubar/top of the window. If it randomly positions the window where I can move it, the oddly sized window will snap back to it's incorrect position.

This seem to happen to Chrome quite often and the only fix is to quit the progam and re-open.

Like other have posted, the issue happenes when waking the laptop or unlocking it from the login screen.

Amazingly frustrating.

I hope Apple is working on it.

Nov 5, 2013 12:55 PM in response to CamberleyDaz

I did a chat session with Apple about this issue, and they were not aware of this issue, so I have opened a case with Apple Technical Support about this. I am the only person who uses this laptop, so they asked me to create a new profile and to see if the new profile has the same issue. I can not re-create this issue on a new profile.

I have two other profiles on the machine, one that was on the machine before the upgrade, and had been logged in to, but not used regularly, and a new profile that I created just to test this problem. Neither profile exhibits the window resizing issue.

So for others who are experiencing this issue, you might try creating a new profile and see if you can make the problem happen in more than one profile. I for one will be extremely bummed if the only solution is to create a new profile, I just when through the pain of blowing away and re-importing my iTunes library to fix a sync issue, so I don't want to have to do that again.

Nov 5, 2013 12:59 PM in response to CamberleyDaz

Interestingly enough, I had the same problem on a Mini when I updated it to 10.8.x (not Mavericks). I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on with it and had some other oddities as well and ended up going back to 10.7.x. The Mini is used as just a HTPC so it really didn't need to be on the latest and greatest.

My point here is I saw the exact same behavior on 10.8.x. Probably doesn't help you out any though.

Nov 10, 2013 7:32 AM in response to CamberleyDaz

Same issue here. I've had this 20" iMac (mid 2007) on every OS, and now see the issue described within a couple of days of installing Mavericks. It usually repositions a window, (so far it's been Safari, Finder, and I think a 3rd one that I can't recall) to the top of the screen and shrinks its height to roughly 20% of the screen height. It gets positioned too far left, so that a bunch of the window is off screen, and the window width is maybe approx. 50% of the screen. I have to cmd-Q the program and reopen it, and the generated window size is a medium-sized one near the center of the screen.

??

Mavericks resizes application windows and moves them around

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.