You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Links Not Working/Not Clickable in Exported PDFs? FIXED!

If you, like me, use Pages to create doc s and then export them to PDFs, the non-working links are a pain. But, after 20 minutes of playing around, I found a fix!

1. In the new version of Pages, export your document to a Word doc. Save it soemwhere on your computer.

2. Right-click on that Word doc in the Finder, Choose Open With > Pages (4.1) [Or just open Pages 4.1 yourself, then use File > Open and choose that new Word doc]

3. The old version of Pages opens your doc. Choose File > Export... and choose PDF. File will save where you choose, links active and working just like old times.

This is my first discussions post and hope it's useful! Let me know that it wokrs for any of you.

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 5:58 AM

17 replies

Jan 1, 2014 9:35 AM in response to DreAllDay

I, too, have been struggling to resinstate hyperlinks in PDF documents made from Pages - or even to create links within Preview. All this used to work fine until my recent upgrades, and I used it a lot.

So far I have found that links seem to work in PDFs created in the new Pages 5.0.1 but only in the first page of a document, whereas PDFs made from the old Pages 4.3 (iWork '09) seem to fare rather better.

So I suppose the conversion back to 4.3 would be a sensible course of action. Intriguingly, 5.0.1 does not seem to have replaced 4.3 on my hard drive, even though I trashed the icon for it on my Applications folder (before I realised that I would still need it)!

Apple doesn't seem to have made any statement about this so far, apart from a promise to restore functionality to Pages, but there does seem still to be a problem with Preview, or perhaps with the OS itself. I can't add links directly to PDFs in Preview. And even links created in Microsoft Word are not carried over into PDFs - not even on the first page.

I continue to experiment, but am frustrated by the loss of such an important and useful facility. Preview used to do most of what I needed for sharing documents; now it is sadly inadequate. Apple has boobed badly here.

Feb 12, 2014 12:35 AM in response to DreAllDay

I have tried all of the steps suggested and am still not able to acomplish what I am trying to do. I have a newsletter that I created and send out weekly. So far exporting it from Pages to word and the opening with Pages 09 and then to PDF was the only way I could keep the links active but all the formatting is ruined by the end of that. I tried exporting from pages 09 and then to PDF but still no active links. I have already put a lot of effort into the basic format I use to make this newsletter every month and the way I have it now it makes it much easier for me to insert the new info qucikly. Right now I have been sending it out as an attachment of the original pages document but that leaves it able to be edited and would much prefer to send it as a PDF. 😕

Feb 12, 2014 12:50 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Like I said before the export directly to pages 09 does not keep the links active. It only works in the steps given at the start of this tread. Also as I previously said I have alredy spent a lot of time creating the document and am not starting over again. I was hoping for some info on keeping the links active using the document I already have, if it comes down to it I will continue to send it out in its regular pages format. That would be better than starting all over again. If anyone has a suggestion for keeping the links active without ruining the formating that would be great.

Feb 12, 2014 1:25 AM in response to Hitchhikingwhovian

Did you not have it as a Pages '09 document, where everything works, before you painstakingly converted it into the Pages 5 document where it does not?

Besides which the templates in Pages '09 work way better than Pages 5 where there is no Textbox linking.

There is a reason the Pages 5 templates look as drab as they do.

Pages is a dog for layout work and regular templated versions. No rtf, no facing pages, no style sheet imports, clumsy access to settings, no non-contiguous text selection, huge waste of screen real estate, the list goes on and on.

You will probably be back here when Pages 5.?? (beta) eventually can't open its own documents because of yet another bug.

Peter

Feb 12, 2014 8:51 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

No my document was created in the current version of pages. I had to utilize a computer that is not mine in order to try the export that way and it did not work. I think it is the type of document and level of formating that stopped that work around from resolving the issue for me. It seems to have worked for most other people but for my document it just turned half or it to nonsense. If I had 09 available on my computer I am sure i could fix the formating and save and export the PDF that way but I do not so for now it will just have to be a pages document and for those who cant view it that way it will be a PDF and they can look up that info without the links. Thanks for trying to help I will just have to wait until the issue is resolved in the current version.

Mar 2, 2014 10:02 AM in response to fruhulda

Fruhulda, I'm using Pages '09 with hyperlinks and wonder why, when I export to PDF the links arent' clickable either. Any idea? I'm at version 4.5. I have another computer that upgraded and hate the new version of Pages, so just stuck with the older one - plus I was in the middle of this 300 page book, so I did NOT want to switch!

I appreciate any clue as to why this is happening. Thanks!

Mar 2, 2014 11:59 AM in response to DreAllDay

This may help, and it's one of those DUH me moments I just had. I was having the same issue. While I'm working (in Pages '09, Version 4.5) I tend to hit the links, so I usually work with the "make all hyperlinks inactive" radio button clicked. Well, if you export to a PDF with that clicked, guess what? The links will not be active upon export.

Please, no snarky responses. I feel dumb enough as it is! But at least I figured it out finally! Hope this helps someone out there!

Links Not Working/Not Clickable in Exported PDFs? FIXED!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.