11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2015 2:18 PM by jmdchan
Perry Lehman Level 1 Level 1

The on-board flash storage drive on my MacBook Pro retina 15" is filled with a 100GB of time machine "Backups."  How do I find and delete these backup files? See attached pic.

(Note:  I use an external disk for my time machine backups, so I have no idea why my MBP on-board flash storage shows backups as consuming storage.)

disk_full_of_backup_data.png

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
Solved by mende1 on Nov 2, 2013 6:24 AM Solved
OS X Lion and newer Mac OS X versions create local snapshots in portable Macs if Time Machine is enabled. See > http://pondini.org/TM/30.html You don't have to worry about. They are stored in a kind of volume named "MobileBackups", but they appear as stored in your hard drive. To delete them, open System Preferences > Time Machine, and turn off Time Machine. Then, turn it on. However, you don't need to delete them, as they will be deleted when your hard drive gets full
Reply by Perry Lehman on Nov 2, 2013 6:37 AM Helpful
Great solution (trick)!  Once I turned-off Time Machine and then turned-on Time Machine again my disk space was freed from the bogus "Backup" data.  See pic below now showing plenty of available space and only a miniscule amount of backup data used. Thanks!  I am very grateful.   
Reply by mende1 on Nov 2, 2013 6:38 AM Helpful
You are welcome

All replies

• mende1 Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

OS X Lion and newer Mac OS X versions create local snapshots in portable Macs if Time Machine is enabled. See > http://pondini.org/TM/30.html

You don't have to worry about. They are stored in a kind of volume named "MobileBackups", but they appear as stored in your hard drive. To delete them, open System Preferences > Time Machine, and turn off Time Machine. Then, turn it on. However, you don't need to delete them, as they will be deleted when your hard drive gets full

• Perry Lehman Level 1 Level 1

Great solution (trick)!  Once I turned-off Time Machine and then turned-on Time Machine again my disk space was freed from the bogus "Backup" data.  See pic below now showing plenty of available space and only a miniscule amount of backup data used.

Thanks!  I am very grateful. 

disk_cleared_of_all_bogus_backup_data.png

• mende1 Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

You are welcome

• ds store Level 7 Level 7

Perry Lehman wrote:

Great solution (trick)!  Once I turned-off Time Machine and then turned-on Time Machine again my disk space was freed from the bogus "Backup" data.

Soon as you use TimeMachine again it's going to return, because that's the local TM file.

If you don't want this taking up extra space on your boot drive and not prone to accidentally deleting files, or for more security reasons you want you delete stays deleted.

Then enter this into Terminal program: sudo tmutil disablelocal  press return and entering your Admin password. Turn off TimeMachine in System Preferences and back on again after a few minutes to see if your drive space is reclaimed.

To re-enable it: sudo tmutil enablelocal

• clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

In addition to what mende1 and ds have said, I keep Backups "off" (using the Terminal command) becasue it can really beat up a SSD/flash storage.

But make certain that you connect your MacBook Pro to your Time Machine disk at least once a day, so you don't lose too much information should your storage fail.

Clinton

• Perry Lehman Level 1 Level 1

This is a good tip - using the terminal command to keep the TM backups "off" to conserve space on the SSD/flash drive.  I'll do it.  Thanks!

Perry

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

This is a good tip

No, it's completely wrong. Disabling local snapshots serves no purpose whatsoever and merely increases the chance that you'll lose data.

• riazgani1976 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks a lot mende1. It made a huge difference.

• rajlego Level 1 Level 1

so if I start getting low on space in my internal hard drive when im backingu up my mac, what exactly will happen to the backup?

• Zhaobello Level 1 Level 1

ds store,

Your solution worked well. I just cleared the "backups" from my MacBook and now the "Free" HD space matches the "Available" HD space.  I did do a TM backup before disabling, then enabled again after confirming that "Free" matched "Available". Thanks!

• jmdchan Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

Thank you of this easy and great solution. It gave me back 39G.