Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro flash storage filled with "Backups" - how to delete?

The on-board flash storage drive on my MacBook Pro retina 15" is filled with a 100GB of time machine "Backups." How do I find and delete these backup files? See attached pic.

(Note: I use an external disk for my time machine backups, so I have no idea why my MBP on-board flash storage shows backups as consuming storage.)

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 6:24 AM

OS X Lion and newer Mac OS X versions create local snapshots in portable Macs if Time Machine is enabled. See > http://pondini.org/TM/30.html

You don't have to worry about. They are stored in a kind of volume named "MobileBackups", but they appear as stored in your hard drive. To delete them, open System Preferences > Time Machine, and turn off Time Machine. Then, turn it on. However, you don't need to delete them, as they will be deleted when your hard drive gets full

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2013 6:24 AM in response to Perry Lehman

OS X Lion and newer Mac OS X versions create local snapshots in portable Macs if Time Machine is enabled. See > http://pondini.org/TM/30.html

You don't have to worry about. They are stored in a kind of volume named "MobileBackups", but they appear as stored in your hard drive. To delete them, open System Preferences > Time Machine, and turn off Time Machine. Then, turn it on. However, you don't need to delete them, as they will be deleted when your hard drive gets full

Nov 2, 2013 7:14 AM in response to Perry Lehman

Perry Lehman wrote:

Great solution (trick)! Once I turned-off Time Machine and then turned-on Time Machine again my disk space was freed from the bogus "Backup" data.

Soon as you use TimeMachine again it's going to return, because that's the local TM file.

If you don't want this taking up extra space on your boot drive and not prone to accidentally deleting files, or for more security reasons you want you delete stays deleted.

Then enter this into Terminal program: sudo tmutil disablelocal press return and entering your Admin password. Turn off TimeMachine in System Preferences and back on again after a few minutes to see if your drive space is reclaimed.

To re-enable it: sudo tmutil enablelocal

MacBook Pro flash storage filled with "Backups" - how to delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.