Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocking AT&T iPhone 5

Dear Apple Support Community,

I recently upgraded by iPhone 5 to a 5s on the AT&T network. I paid the early upgrade fee to AT&T to do this. So, naturally, I assumed that my old iPhone 5 was good to go. So, I sold my iPhone 5 on eBay as I had done with all my previous iPhones. A gentleman in Europe bought the iPhone 5, but when he tried to use his SIM card, he found that the phone was still locked to the AT&T network. Naturally, I tried calling AT&T to fix the problem, and while their support tried, after 3 calls and 3 tries at the AT&T unlock website, I was told that my phone could not be unlocked since I had upgraded early, and the phone didn't go through a full 2 year agreement. Supposedly, I can't unlock this phone until August 2014! I was ultimately told that new Apple rules prevented AT&T from unlocking this phone for another year.

First, can anyone verify that this is excuse is true?

Second, can anyone offer a legitimate solution to getting this phone unlocked so that the purchaser can use it on his network?

Thanks,

Carl

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 7:09 AM

2 replies

Nov 2, 2013 2:45 PM in response to Carl Peduzzi

To Mr. Peduzzi,

As far as I know, unlock rules are implemented by the carriers, not Apple.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/unlocking-your-smartphone-will-soon-be-illeg al-and-other-new-dmca-rule-insanity/

Due to the new regulations, unlocking without the carrier's permission has become "unlawful" here in the USA.

Since your iphone5 has already been delivered to the buyer, your recourse would be to somehow pursuade at&t to agree to unlock your old phone.

If at&t doesn't want to unlock it, you would have to check your purchase date for that phone. The deadline for legal 3rd party unlock is for cell phones purchased before Jan. 26, 2013. And recently at&t has tightened regulations for unlocking such that the cost of unlocking an at&t phone went up from less than US$10 to over US$100 now.

You could:

1.) ask the buyer to get the unlock done from the UK, then you reimburse him.

2.) you pay for the unlock from your side

3.) have the buyer return the phone and you refund his money

All 3 prospects are not very good at all, and can be salvaged by at&t agreeing to unlock it. I've never done an upgrade myself, so I don't know how things should go. I'm answering here because I noticed that it's been so many hours since you've posted and no one has put in any answer.

It certainly doesn't make sense for at&t to keep that old phone locked to them because it won't be used anyway. Why would they rather have you keep the iphone5 stashed away in a drawer for the remainder of its contract, while you'll be using the new phone? It doesn't benefit anybody.

You can keep calling at&t, and hopefully get a different agent who can see the current lose-lose situation and change it into win-win.

Best regards.

Unlocking AT&T iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.