Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exporting config settings

I need to load Aperture onto a new HD, is there a way I can export all of my configuration settings so that when I install on a new drive that I don't have to go through and set everything up again? Simple things like views and preferences, it would be nice if I could re-laod onto new drive, import configuratuions, and have it look and feel just like my old install.

MAC Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 8:26 AM

I need to load Aperture onto a new HD

What do you mean?

• Do you want to use Aperture on a different computer?
  • Or move your Aperture library to a different drive, but run Aperture from your sam user account on the same computer?

If you only move your Aperture library with all your images to a different loacation, all your preference settings and presets will remain the the same. They are not stored in your Aperture library, they are stored in your user library in your account - in Aperture's preference file and in the folder

/Users/your short user name/Library/Application Support/Aperture/

So, only if you use Aperture from a different user account on a different machine do you need to copy these files. This should happen automatically, if you use Migration assistant; otherwise copy the

/Users/your short user name/Library/Application Support/Aperture/ folder to the new user account.

Reagrds

Léonie

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2013 8:26 AM in response to md.dunbar

I need to load Aperture onto a new HD

What do you mean?

• Do you want to use Aperture on a different computer?
  • Or move your Aperture library to a different drive, but run Aperture from your sam user account on the same computer?

If you only move your Aperture library with all your images to a different loacation, all your preference settings and presets will remain the the same. They are not stored in your Aperture library, they are stored in your user library in your account - in Aperture's preference file and in the folder

/Users/your short user name/Library/Application Support/Aperture/

So, only if you use Aperture from a different user account on a different machine do you need to copy these files. This should happen automatically, if you use Migration assistant; otherwise copy the

/Users/your short user name/Library/Application Support/Aperture/ folder to the new user account.

Reagrds

Léonie

Nov 2, 2013 12:06 PM in response to md.dunbar

All setings you are referring to (AdjustmentPresets, FilenamingPrests, etc.) are in your user library. As long as you are not working from a different user account or on a different computer, it will not matter, if you move your Aperture library to a different drive or even the Aperture library.

Only, if you work from a differnet computer or log in as a differnet user, will you need to transfer Aperture's settings from your uder library - the folder

~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/ and the file

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

But why do you need the Aperture application as well as the Aperture library to an external drive? Aperture is best installed in the Applications folder, or you will have trouble when you try to update it.

Nov 2, 2013 1:03 PM in response to md.dunbar

It sounds like as long as I bring up the old library, then the settings will be there.

Yes, as long as you copy these files from your old user library:

~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/ and the file

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

If you used "Migration Assistan " to restore your home folder from a Time Machine backup, these files should already be there.

Jan 17, 2014 3:19 PM in response to léonie

I'm looking for the same fix...moving to a new Imac from MacAir. I've been using Aperture for a year on the Air and now installed on the Imac. Need my settings.

Following the advice, I looked for this path /Users/your short user name/Library/Application Support/Aperture/ with no luck on finder.

I find Library is under my HD name...so I went there as per your last post. Looked in

~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/

and found only a Plug-ins folder.

Used spotlight to search hard drive and did not find Aperture.plist

so still looking.

Thanks though.

slc

Jan 23, 2014 6:52 AM in response to stevecook3dw

Like Steve I came here looking for the same fix after upgrading my rMBPro from Mountain Lion to Mavericks caused all sorts of problems. I ended up doing a Clean install of Mavericks after wiping the drive. Have spent the past few days reinstalling applications, finding licensing information, etc. And then when I started working with Aperture only to find all of my presets, watermarks, etc. not there.

So I rebooted the Clone I made before wiping and rebuilding, and found the:

~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/ directory and the

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist file.

by using Finder Menu Go > "Option Library" associated with my main User directory.

From the Clone, I just copied both the Application Support/Aperture directory, and com.apple.Aperture.plist to my Dropbox account. Restarted rebuilt OS, and copied the files from Dropbox to the appropriate places. Restarted Aperture, and the old presets, views, watermark images, etc. were all back.

This discussion helped save me from rebuilding the above.

Note, all of my Aperture databases use Referenced Files with masters on external drive. Everything synced up without having to relocate 37000+ referenced photos used by several Aperture databases.

Tom

exporting config settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.