Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can the mac mini quad-core i7 handle photoshop cc, 3D and video production?

Hello all,

I know that the ideal Mac unit that would suit a graphics intensive user would be the iMac or MacBook Pro or Mac Pro. However, budget is a concern.

So, I would like to know if the Mac mini quad-core i7 would be worth it for a start and expand (add apple monitor, etc) later on. Can it handle Photoshop CC, 3D (Maya, 3DsMax, Blender) and video production (Final Cut Pro, After Effects)?

Thanks

Mac mini

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 8:45 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

You won't have any problem with the processor, but the problem is the GPU. It's an Intel HD Graphics 4000, which is an integrated GPU that will give you problems with video and photo editing applications. Moreover, Adobe doesn't support all their apps features with integrated GPUs, and Final Cut Pro will work but not in the same way as with a dedicated GPU.

I recommend you to get an iMac or a 15-inch MacBook Pro. If you can't afford a new Mac, have a look at refurbished Macs, which are cheaper

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2013 8:45 AM in response to charityworks

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

You won't have any problem with the processor, but the problem is the GPU. It's an Intel HD Graphics 4000, which is an integrated GPU that will give you problems with video and photo editing applications. Moreover, Adobe doesn't support all their apps features with integrated GPUs, and Final Cut Pro will work but not in the same way as with a dedicated GPU.

I recommend you to get an iMac or a 15-inch MacBook Pro. If you can't afford a new Mac, have a look at refurbished Macs, which are cheaper

Nov 2, 2013 11:43 AM in response to charityworks

Photoshop CC will run fine. I have CS6 Extended and it runs very well with 16Gb of RAM - even with files of 1Gb or larger, although I don't often work with much that big. CC has some "quirks, but Adobe is aware of them and working on them, and they mostly have to do with connecting to "the cloud".

I use Toast Titanium for making DVDs and that too runs smoothly.

I've done a little bit of work with Encore and Premiere Pro, and they both run well, but Premiere has a slight lag with rendering the final project. It's NOTHING like it was when I only had 4Gb RAM though. There's about a two second delay right after I start the export, but it's liveable.

Nov 16, 2013 9:50 AM in response to charityworks

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Just checked Intel Iris Graphics. Although it's integrated, not dedicated unlike Iris Pro, I got sold to it from this review online (pasted below), mentioning the applications I'll be using, as I've much concern with how well it could handle 3D programs: Autodesk Maya/Max/Invent/CAD as well as Ae, etc..

Iris and Iris Pro GPUs support advanced APIs, including DirectX 11.1, OpenCL, and OpenGL 4.0. DirectX 11.1 is very important for delivering all the best visual effects in modern games. Photo- and video-editing programs, such as Adobe’s Photoshop and Sony’s Vegas Pro, use OpenCL to tap a graphics processor so they can render images faster. And engineering, design, modeling, and animation programs such as Autodesk’s 3DS Max rely on OpenGL to talk to the GPU.

link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2040865/intels-fourth-generation-core-series-deli vers-significantly-better-graphics-performance.html

I have decided to wait a little longer to save up for a more powerful mac (MacBook Pro or iMac). In the meantime, I'll be upgrading this little MacBook I'm using now to the latest OS X (from 10.4.11) and see how it handles Photoshop CC, etc, and how well I can adjust to macs, as I've always been a windows user. I checked Refurbished Macs which is a really good idea--wallet-friendly, however, I'm not too keen on it since it doesn't say "Certified Apple" Refurbished Macs as it is presented in the US apple store. We'll see.. (last time I was thinking I'll just get an iMac..)

Thanks again!

can the mac mini quad-core i7 handle photoshop cc, 3D and video production?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.