Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted BootCamp Partition into Unallocated Space, how to get it back?

So I'm trying to install Windows 8 onto my Macbook Pro 15" Retina, Haswell and I was following on of the poster's instructions.

The steps went along like this:

"1. setup and update mavericks and reboot

2. open boot camp assistant and only check the lower 2 options

3. insert a usb flash drive (for boot camp driver install

4. plug in a usg dvd drive with a retail copy of windows 8 or 8 professional

5 select how big you want your partition. I recommend at least 80gb but just a suggestion based on needs.

6 when its done creating the windows boot camp usb eject the usb drive before you allow it to restart to install windows.

7. when it is at the install screen you will see a message saying that partition 0s4 is unable to install windows. highlight that windows partition and click delete then highlight it and select format.

8 click next to proceed with install

9 when in win 8 run the boot camp installer and all windows 8 updates. restart

10 go to the windows store and select the windows 8.1 update and click install

11 after a restart you are at 8.1 Done. Enjoy."

So I did step 7 and I was unable to hit format and it said from BOOTCAMP to Unallocated Space. I quit out of the installation process since there was nothing else that I could do. I go back to Bootcamp hoping to remove the parition and it's not there...instead, it gave me to the option to add a partition. When I click it to see what it is, my Macbook now has only 350GB left..it originally has 500GB. I'd tried to get into Disk Utility but the HD drive doesn't show on the sidetabs...can anyone please tell me how to recover my 150GB..? Thank you!

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, LATE 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 9:32 AM

9 replies

Nov 2, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Cerebus360

It looks like Boot Camp Assistant resized the OS X volume but didn't create the FAT32 partition for Windows.

Nothing to worry about. Insert the USB drive with Windows, hold the Option (Alt) key while your Mac is starting and choose the "Windows" option with the USB drive.

Then, follow the steps of the installer until the partitioning step. Here you have to press the unallocated space and go to Drive options > New. This will create a new NTFS partition, so press Next and the Windows installation will start.

After installing Windows, install the Windows support software you should have downloaded in Boot Camp Assistant. Here you have all the steps > http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1636/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_ 10.8.pdf

Nov 2, 2013 10:05 AM in response to Cerebus360

There was another user with the same problem, and the only solution was to erase the whole drive, reinstall OS X and run Boot Camp again. This is probably caused because the partition map is damaged.

To erase the hard drive and reinstall OS X, use Internet Recovery (hold Command, Alt and R keys while your Mac is starting). Then, open Disk Utility, choose your hard drive at the top of the sidebar and go to Partition.

In Partition, first select “1 partition” below “Partition Layout”. Then, select Options and press GPT. Finally, press Apply, close Disk Utility and reinstall OS X.

Make a backup of your files before doing it

Nov 2, 2013 10:11 AM in response to mende1

Thanks a lot for the help! I was actually able to get me 150GB back when I restarted, checked Bootcamp to remove the Windows Parition, so all 500GB is back into my Macbook. :-) Thanks so much for the help! I'm a bit scared to try to install Windows 8.1 onto my Macbook so I'm going to the Genius Bar later today to have them install it for me. I've had enough computer adventures for one day.

Deleted BootCamp Partition into Unallocated Space, how to get it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.