Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes on Hard Disk with new MacBook Air - iTunes cannot find library file

Hi, sorry for the potentially daft post.

I recently got upgraded to a MacBook AIr - I am running all latest versions and Mavericks. My Itunes Library lives on an external hard disk (probably like for most of us... its too big!

Anyhow, I really like to be able to plug my hard disk into the new Air and have itunes recognise the library. Ideally, I like to be able to plug the HD into my other Mac - and also see the library there. Am I asking for too much?

When I open itunes holding the option key and select the music folder, the MacBook Air says: "An iTunes library file could not be found in the folder "Itunes Music. Please choose a different folder."

What am I doing wrong? It might be possible that I am asking for too much (ie having the ability to operate the itunes library on the hard disk essentially from two machines. But I'd like to know so I can figure out the workaround. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 9:55 AM

1 reply

Itunes on Hard Disk with new MacBook Air - iTunes cannot find library file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.