Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 15" 2010 black screen.

it's been a long time now, that those black screens appear whenever i open photoshop or anything heavy graphic-related.

i had it with snow leopard, mountain lion and mavericks. i was able to force the system not to switch graphics with gfxcard status.

the thing is this does not happen in safe boot, so it could be a thrid party issue too.

but there's something new with mavericks, i get glitches under heavy loads even with the integrated mode. i dont't know if it's related or not.

and to continue the bad luck, i live in Iran, there's no technical support or such as the Apple announced they would change the logicboards with this issue free of charge, here.

so my only chance is getting to the third part issue, if that's the case. what possible step could i take to avoiding the black screen?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 10:44 AM

10 replies

Nov 2, 2013 11:17 AM in response to PermaFrost.

PermaFrost. wrote:

i already said here there's no Official Apple anything!

it would cost me 3 macpros to travel to a Technical Support or a genius bar. 🙂

Did you read the article at Apple?

https://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

Apple has determined that a small number of MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) computers may intermittently freeze or stop displaying video on the built-in display or on an external display connected to the MacBook Pro. In this situation, you may also see a restart warning message before the video is lost or the display turns black or gray.

Apple will service affected 15-inch MacBook Pro computers free of charge until three years from date of purchase. This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the affected MacBook Pro.

i live in Iran, there's no technical support or such as the Apple announced they would change the logicboards with this issue free of charge, here.

Service Options

• Apple Authorized Service Provider. Find one here.
  • Apple Technical Support. Contact us for local service options.

If you can't get local support, call Apple or closest provider via phone and find out where it's best to SHIP the MacBook Pro to and whom will fix it under the special cirumstances explained in the article.

so my only chance is getting to the third part issue, if that's the case. what possible step could i take to avoiding the black screen?

You can't do anything on your own, the graphic chip is soldered to the logicboard, the entire logicboard is replaced usually.

Backup your files if possible or have someone do data recovery.

Call Apple and send the machine to them to have it fixes.

Wait for the return.

Apple was shipping and repairing computers via postal mail for decades before they opened their first store.

Make sure to insure it.

Good Luck 🙂

Dec 14, 2013 1:03 AM in response to PermaFrost.

I just posted comment regarding this and need to let you know as well. Last week, Apple replace the said logic board MBP 15" mid-2010. TWO (2) day later, the screen went black again!

Q: did they replace the same logic board from another MBP or from the same faulty batch production just happened to be in stock on the shelf? Apple has been very good so no implied wrong doing.

😟? 🙂!

Dec 14, 2013 1:24 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thanks... I did that yesterday and none of them at Apple Genius knew anything about it, nor previous visit with Apple staff (seriously). Although I kindly pointed to them (without having to "tell a fish how to swim") of the directive issue that Apple acknowledged this in Oct 13th 2011 - well documentated. But... the ignore my "pointer" and also they CANNOT do anything UNTIL the test report tells them that there is a fault which happened last week when they finally agreed and believed me (albeit why my frequent visits with them and per history of notes against my device).

macbook pro 15" 2010 black screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.