Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes not playing through speakers

Hello,

I updated to Maverick OS and now itunes willnot play through built-in speakers only headphone jack. When I reinstalled itunes and went to settings, there is no option to change the output: only digital headphone jack output exists. Anyone have any remediy besides throwing the computer under a FreshDirect delivery truck?

MacBook Pro, Other OS, Mac OSX 10.9 (Maverick?)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 11:13 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2014 5:51 AM in response to jcarrion1

jcarrion1, I have a similar issue. I installed Mavericks yesterday on my 27 in. iMac and now iTunes V 11.1.5 (5) will not play through inbuilt speakers or headphones. I checked other audio apps - eg QuickTime and Sound Studio and there is no issue - they come through the inbuilt speakers. Also no problems on units connected via Airport and Apple TV accesses iTunes and plays audio. The issue seems limited to the inbuilt speakers/headphones on my iMac. I have wasted a lot of time trying to solve this with no success. Did you solve the problem? Or did you resort to the delivery truck?

Mar 6, 2014 8:27 AM in response to JohnDS10

Hello There,

Yes I solved the problem. Ths issue arises because I use the headphone jack of my laptop. When the sound doesn't come out of the built-in speakers, I can see a little red light inside the input jack for the headphones. The computer thinks the headphones are still plugged in. I went to system preferences and selected sound, there I went to "output" and selected built-in speakers. It worked for me.

Joe

Mar 6, 2014 3:21 PM in response to jcarrion1

Thanks for getting back to me, Joe, and glad you resolved the issue. My iMac issue is different in that when headphones are connected the Audio system preference show that option as selected. When I disconnect them, the system preference reverts to "Internal Speakers" Type: "Built-In" - but I am not getting sound from either selection. But thanks for letting me know your outcome.

John

Itunes not playing through speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.