Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Pro download...

For not real reason other than I can, I just ordered QuickTime Pro for Mac. I'm running Mavericks with the latest updates. I signed into the QT order page, paid for the software, received an email with the order info, but no indication as to how to complete the download order.

I expected this to be an immediate download. Should I have received the download immediately or do I have to wait several hours/days before the download is available?

I'm out $30, but no QuickTime Pro. Seems strange to me. I understand if it were to be a DVD mailed to me, but it clearly states this is an electronic order.

Anyone else experience this?

Apple TV

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 11:17 AM

11 replies

Nov 2, 2013 1:02 PM in response to Niel

QuickTimePlayer7.6.6_SnowLeopard

I noticed that I have SnowLeopard Quicktime installation. Is there a different version for Mavericks? I just don't get all the "hoops" I have to jump through to get "Pro". How can I tell if I do have QT Pro installed. I think I entered my Pro registration number correctly.

IMHO, this installation should be automatic after I pay for it and hit the download button.

Guess you have to be a REAL PRO to install this upgrade even though Apple dosn't blink when they take my $30.

Nov 2, 2013 2:27 PM in response to blueeos

I noticed that I have SnowLeopard Quicktime installation. Is there a different version for Mavericks?

No. This is a special version that runs in the dual 32-/64-bit QT structure embedding in Mac OS X v10.6, v10.7, v10.8, and v10.9 softtware.

How can I tell if I do have QT Pro installed. I think I entered my Pro registration number correctly.

If you load a QT edit-compatible movie and can transcode it, trim it, open the "Properties" window, add a mask, layer/composite multiple forms of data, extract or delete data at the track level, access the video filters, etc., then it is working correctly.

IMHO, this installation should be automatic after I pay for it and hit the download button.

I don't see any difference between installing this app and any other pro video editing app to which you must apply a registration number manually.

Guess you have to be a REAL PRO to install this upgrade even though Apple dosn't blink when they take my $30.

No, but it might help if you have some idea as to how to use this utility. Most people who purchase the pro registration only use it for file trimming, merging, and/or transcoding content since they do not realize its full potential for editing files—albeit manually.

User uploaded file

Nov 2, 2013 4:50 PM in response to blueeos

No, you don't have to be a real pro. You need to check your e-mail for a message back from Apple with the serial number that 'unlocks' the program. QuickTime Pro is a *Product key* that opens the application’s full potential.

When you download QuickTime 7 for Mac OS X v10.6.3 or later (QuickTime 7.6.6) you are getting the LAST of the 32-bit builds of the application.

The benefit for this is that with the Pro Key and all the codec packs installed, you CAN transcode and re-code video to a whole bunch of other formats - something that you can’t do really well with the QTX - it is limited in scope and now it’s really limited to the file formats that will ONLY work well with the “iThings” - the iPads and the like..

Which is killing a lot of people that don’t want to have to go through that automatic reordering that QTX does of their videos to suit Apple’s insistence that we MUST want to use an iPad or whatever.. Really?

With QT7 in and the Pro key you can save and edit in any format, strip audio, add subtitles, add foreign language tracks, add music, trim, add, resize, stretch out those horridly aspect- rated anamorphic movies where everyone’s squished up skinny, crop, letterbox, pillar box….whatever.

Install QT 7 and open it. In the top menu, Below QuickTime 7 there is a line that says ‘Registration’. Open it and put in your name and serial. Hit enter and the icon should change to the Pro icon.

Like so.. http://home.comcast.net/~foodandart/MacForums/QTProKey.jpg

Then you will see in the menu, more options for file actions, like this.

http://home.comcast.net/~foodandart/MacForums/UnlockedQT7.jpg

Holmes around on some of my other recent posts and follow the links for the codecs and the installation that makes Perian work and have fun!

(There's even a way I found with using Firefox to suss out URL's for the Apple Trailers and get them to open with the QT7 and then save them.. even in 1080p! Yeaaahhhhh!)

Nov 2, 2013 9:57 PM in response to Deborah Terreson

To be quite frank, I don't understand much of the above comments. So I guess I'll just punt. The ONLY reason I got QT Pro was that I can't play any of the TV shows that I've paid for and downloaded from iTunes. I never had any trouble until I upgraded to Mavericks. When I try to pay one of these videos, I get a popup saying I need some add on QT component and get directed to a page with maybe 10 of these codex options.

I've tried 2 or 3 on the list and my videos still won't play with QT. Definitely not user friendly.

Since I can watch these videos with my iPad, it's not a big deal if I can't access them with my MBA.

I guess that's the reason they call it the PRO edition, you have to be a Pro to even understand the options.

Nov 2, 2013 10:21 PM in response to blueeos

Follow these instructions:

Here is the quick list I've built.

Start with QT 7.6.6. - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

Get Perian, and install it. - http://perian.org

then VLC, - http://videolan.org

DivX - http://divx.com - and the

Flip4Mac package from Telestream - http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac/

A52/AC3 downloader: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21875/a52codec - In this installer package there is an audio A52Codec.component. DO NOT USE IT! Throw it out and use the one that is linked below.

This is what I've put into my system and so far I've gotten every file to run fine, even my oldest videos.

These are codecs you should see.

In System/Library/QuickTime

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component* (*optional if you've bought it)

DivX Decoder.component

Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component

Flip4Mac WMV Export.component

Flip4Mac WMV Import.component

In your Home/Library/QuickTime/

AC3MovieImport.component (you may or may not want this component, in some instances it causes conflicts. In my system, it doesn't. Who knows why? I don't.)

Perian.component

For AC3 sound that is in most .mkv files, you need the A52Codec.component, this is the one you want, here:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34821905/A52Codec.component.zip - unzip the file and put the component into the System/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components

Go back to your Perian settings and in the Audio Output button, set it to 'Multi Channel Sound' - Ignore the message Perian puts up and select it.

By doing a 'Get Info' on your files and where it says 'Open With' - default them to the QuickTime 7 program. Perian no longer will work with QuickTime Player so you must have QT 7.6.6 and set it so it is the default for all the filetypes you use.

It works perfectly with QT7. So far I've gotten ALL my old videos to play.

.avi, .mov (with the AC3 sound), .wmv, .flv, .mp4 and .m4v. all run fine as do all the older formats.

Good luck!

Deb.

Nov 2, 2013 10:46 PM in response to Deborah Terreson

Geh! The site threw a wobbler on me and my post edit disappeared.

DO THIS FIRST!

You need to make your Library folders visible. There's one in your Home folder and one in the System folder and BOTH have now been hidden by default in Mavericks.

If you cannot see your User/Library file, you will need to make it visible.

To do this, go into your Applications/Utilities folder and run the Terminal application.

You will see a window pop open and your computer name and the user name after it and a grey square prompt.

Type in: sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library/ and then hit Enter.

It will ask for password, on the next line and put that in (It won't show any letters) hit enter again and go up to the menu and Quit the Terminal. You're done with it.

You should now be able to see your Library folder inside the your Home folder when you open a Finder window.

This is important when you go to install the sound plug in for the AC3 audio format. You have to be able fo get to the folder, so seeing it is, yeah.. fairly important.

Deb.

Nov 3, 2013 6:07 AM in response to blueeos

To be quite frank, I don't understand much of the above comments. So I guess I'll just punt. The ONLY reason I got QT Pro was that I can't play any of the TV shows that I've paid for and downloaded from iTunes. I never had any trouble until I upgraded to Mavericks. When I try to pay one of these videos, I get a popup saying I need some add on QT component and get directed to a page with maybe 10 of these codex options.

While I agree that Mavericks is a disaster as far as QT and QL is concerned, I fail to understand why a person would purchase a Pro key without really reading the description of its purpose. It clearly states that its primary use is for the recording of A/V via built-in devices, FireWire camcorders, microphones, etc.; editing of file content; and the conversion of file types/file compression formats. Nowhere does it even hint that QT 7 Pro adds any new codec components (which it doesn't) or allow you to view any more videos natively than the QT 7 player alone does. What it does do, however, is allow you to manually add third party codec components supporting video content not supported natively by QT and/or access QT "Pro" video codec components installed along with/by professional video editor applications. As Deb described, the "open" nature of the QT 7 app interface allows the user to modify his or her system's codec component configuration to support older, third-party, non-QT file/compression formats.

I've tried 2 or 3 on the list and my videos still won't play with QT. Definitely not user friendly.

While Deb's modifications offer compatibility with most content users are likely come across/download, it does not guarentee 100% compatibility with all files nor does it take into account specialty codecs supplied by what seems to amount to "sponsored" components on the "goto" web page you referenced. In fact, I tend to consider it somewhat irresponsible to arbitrarily add codecs at random just to perform "trial and error" playback tests. The correct and logical approach here would be to downoal a free media utility that examines the file content and tells you which specific codecs were used to create the file so you can then locate, download, and install just the codec component(s) required for QT 7 playback if available for your system.

Since I can watch these videos with my iPad, it's not a big deal if I can't access them with my MBA.

This is disturbing. If you are using default IOS software to view the files, then the files would like be be MPEG-4 or MPEG-4 AVC video with AAC audio which should be compatible with all QT based apps on your computer even under the Mavericks OS. If they are, then it sounds like you either have a problem with your system insallation or your media sharing workflow between iPad and computer or source files and computer.

I guess that's the reason they call it the PRO edition, you have to be a Pro to even understand the options.

Hardly. While the QT 7 "Pro" editing features are currently not given as much attention or credit as I might expect, they are rather extensive for such a cheap utility and offer capabilities normally only available using software like the FCP suite of apps costing more than a thousand dollars. Those familiar with its use can do anything from creating a video Christmas card to applying a B-movie "Grindhouse"-like (scratched and aged film) filter affect to a movie should they desire to do so.

User uploaded file

QuickTime Pro download...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.