Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A couple of questions about upgrading to Mavericks

Hello. I have some questions before I upgrade my Mac computers to Mavericks. I have a very limited knowledge on computers, so I hope these questions would at least make sense.

First, does the upgrade change any settings/preferences on the computer (Safari bookmarks bar, mouse sensitivity, folder organization, dock, etc.)? And does it delete any data (pictures, music, documents, softwares, etc.)?

Second, my iMac is early 2013. It has 8 RAMs, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Will upgrading to Mavericks damage the performance? Also, will I get all the advertised features?

Third, I also have an early 2010 15-inch Macbook Pro. It has 4 RAMs, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Is the upgrade recommended? Or will it slow down the performance badly? The laptop is still on Snow Leopard.

Lastly, I have Windows Vista installed on the Macbook (Bootcamp). Will I still be able to use Windows Vista after upgrading to Mavericks? I know only Windows 7 or later can be installed on Mountain Lion. So I was wondering whether upgrading to Mavericks will still allow me to use Vista.

Thanks in advance.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 1:03 PM

First, does the upgrade change any settings/preferences on the computer (Safari bookmarks bar, mouse sensitivity, folder organization, dock, etc.)? And does it delete any data (pictures, music, documents, softwares, etc.)?

No. Back up your system anyway as a precaution against the unexpected. Use Time Machine or "clone" software and ensure the backup is viable.

Second, my iMac is early 2013. It has 8 RAMs, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Will upgrading to Mavericks damage the performance? Also, will I get all the advertised features?

Respectively: Mavericks will result in measurably increased performance, and yes you will be able to use all its features. Just make absolutely certain to eliminate any and all "anti-virus" or ill-conceived "cleanup" and similar junk from your system first. Most of those products will slow down your Mac, or worse, no matter what OS it runs.

Third, I also have an early 2010 15-inch Macbook Pro. It has 4 RAMs, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Is the upgrade recommended? Or will it slow down the performance badly? The laptop is still on Snow Leopard.

Yes, though keep in mind that any old PowerPC apps will not run with any OS later than Snow Leopard. Mavericks will run fine on that model MacBook Pro and it is likely to result in increased performance due to enhancements in memory and other resource management. The same caveats apply regarding third party software, and back up your system first. Snow Leopard to any later OS is a quantum leap, but if you are already using Mountain Lion on your iMac you will have already become accustomed to it.

Upgrading OS X requires Spotlight to index hundreds of thousands of new files. That can take the better part of a day so initially you will wonder why your Mac is running so slowly and using so much battery power. That's normal, and your Mac will run faster when it finishes. If it doesn't, the problems causing it are most likely to be incompatible third party software, which is the reason for removing "anti-virus" and related junk and verifying Mavericks compatibility first. Only you can know what's on your Mac and Apple has no way of testing everyone else's software. Some developers have been lazy despite having many months to prepare for Mavericks.

Lastly, I have Windows Vista installed on the Macbook (Bootcamp). Will I still be able to use Windows Vista after upgrading to Mavericks? I know only Windows 7 or later can be installed on Mountain Lion. So I was wondering whether upgrading to Mavericks will still allow me to use Vista.

Boot Camp obviates what is installed on Mountain Lion. Whatever you have installed on a separate partition will be unaffected by upgrading to Mavericks.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2013 1:03 PM in response to mrq0604

No. Back up your system anyway as a precaution against the unexpected. Use Time Machine or "clone" software and ensure the backup is viable.

Respectively: Mavericks will result in measurably increased performance, and yes you will be able to use all its features. Just make absolutely certain to eliminate any and all "anti-virus" or ill-conceived "cleanup" and similar junk from your system first. Most of those products will slow down your Mac, or worse, no matter what OS it runs.

Yes, though keep in mind that any old PowerPC apps will not run with any OS later than Snow Leopard. Mavericks will run fine on that model MacBook Pro and it is likely to result in increased performance due to enhancements in memory and other resource management. The same caveats apply regarding third party software, and back up your system first. Snow Leopard to any later OS is a quantum leap, but if you are already using Mountain Lion on your iMac you will have already become accustomed to it.

Upgrading OS X requires Spotlight to index hundreds of thousands of new files. That can take the better part of a day so initially you will wonder why your Mac is running so slowly and using so much battery power. That's normal, and your Mac will run faster when it finishes. If it doesn't, the problems causing it are most likely to be incompatible third party software, which is the reason for removing "anti-virus" and related junk and verifying Mavericks compatibility first. Only you can know what's on your Mac and Apple has no way of testing everyone else's software. Some developers have been lazy despite having many months to prepare for Mavericks.

Boot Camp obviates what is installed on Mountain Lion. Whatever you have installed on a separate partition will be unaffected by upgrading to Mavericks.

Nov 2, 2013 12:57 PM in response to mrq0604

Before you update any of the machines make a full bootable backup, just in case. Use Time Machine too if you want to be extra safe.

1. The settings & data are all stored in you home directory. The installer will leave these alone by default so it will all still exist after installing. You have to physically open Disk Utility & erase the disk before installing to lose your data (barring any errors).

2. The requirements are very machine specific so it simplest if you read the tech specs page…

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

3. Some people are reporting slowdowns, but it is unclear if it is because they have lots of third party software that modifies the system. If you have a lot of extra software (or really out of date software) it would be a good idea to remove some of it. Generally it seems Mavericks is working OK, but there are some serious issues like external RAID disks being corrupted by Mavericks. It's possible Mavericks may make it feel a bit quicker, it's difficult to judge.

You may also want to wait if you are wanting it to be perfect, it is still an early OS. Obviously the people who are perfectly happy with Mavericks never appear in these forums, so it could be a minority who are having trouble.

A couple of questions about upgrading to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.