Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't export movie in iMovie 10: "This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera"

I just edited and completed a short video (just under 4 minutes) and now it seems as if iMovie 10 somehow forced me to edit the files INSIDE the camera. Because when I unplug it, some parts of the movie vanish. And when I try to export it (or "share" it), I get the message "This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera." How can that be? This has never happened in previous versions of iMovie.

The movie shows up in the iMovie library and I could even play it from Apple TV - but I want to export the file and cannot. I've imported all of the clips - looks like even did it twice. Very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using the latest OS X (version 10.9)

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 2:01 PM

49 replies

Jun 2, 2017 8:49 AM in response to Dieds

I've found a way! If there are videos from other cameras that dont require an SD card ( smartphones or webcams ) then put all of those together, copy them , delete them from the movie you made , export the movie with the remaining files ( the ones you needed he SD card to add them to the movie ) and export it , go back to the app and add the downloaded movie and paste in the remaining clips

Cameron Shand age 13

Nov 3, 2013 5:05 PM in response to Dieds

Looks like you have to immediately remove the device (camera, SD card) that you use to import your video. I thought it strange that there were two copies of all the video clips - and it seems one is imported, the other is on the device. So you have a 50/50 shot of chosing the correct one or else you'll be out of luck.

I switched back to the old version of iMovie and now all is well.

Nov 10, 2013 3:19 PM in response to Dieds

I just found out something. I was having this issue...welll i still am. I think i found a resolve. Now i am on the cloud and i doubt this matters but maybe it does. it seems the only thing you can share with when you are having this issue in imove is the THEATER feature. So when you are done share the movie to theater. Then go back to the orginal movie, where you do all your editing and then share it again to the THEATER it will ask you if you want to keep both or replace. Hit Replace after that is done check your trash the trash can in your dock. If you open it youll see it deleted the first one you replaced and you'll find the 1080p version 720p version and the 480p version in the trash..LOL its odd but it works.

Nov 11, 2013 3:35 AM in response to Dieds

yes i too have this problem not found a fix yet i also noticed that after downloading my video to the mac when i disconected the camera it came up missing filies ? only on some parts strange as ive downloaded straight from the memory card and all is fine yet when i try to download from the cameras hard drive i get this message but even stranger some of the footage thats on the camers hard drive shows up in the i movie and plays ok

Jan 27, 2014 6:12 PM in response to Dieds

I take out my SD card from my camera and have been putting it the MacBook and then import from there. Previously, I have been able to edit then share. Now, I can't do that either in the manner I have been doing it. What I do is simply copy the file from the SD card and put it into a folder on my MacBook. Then, in iMovie I import the file from the folder on my computer, edit, do whatever, then can share that file from there to the final output medium.

May 7, 2014 10:23 PM in response to Jakobean

I am glad this helped so many. It's sad that although I've been a contributing member of this Apple community since 2006 that I only have 20 points - because early on the Apple community trolls that run this site attacked me for some legitimate (and constructive) criticism. And the fools running this site neutralized my account so I will never earn points. Say ANYTHING seen as negative against Apple and these trolls pile on. Sad, really.

Can't export movie in iMovie 10: "This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.