Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eMac (2002 700Mhz) Wi-Fi Question

I got my eMac working and I found out, it has no Airport card (As I expected) - Anyways, another PC I have, uses an Edimax EW-7722UTn USB Adapter to connect to the internet, I unplugged it from the PC and plugged it into the Mac, well upon downloading 4 different drivers (None of them worked), I actually found the "correct" Mac Driver for that particular adapter and when I tried to install, the installer.app crashes, I can't do anything from here!

The Mac has 10.4 Tiger installed and the driver supposedly works with Tiger, so I'm pretty much stuck here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 3:57 PM

15 replies

Nov 9, 2013 5:18 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, the good news is that I don't need it now anyway as I ordered an Airport Card for it off eBay, but I was just wondering WHY the stupid thing isn't working.

Ironically, I ran into this SAME problem on a Hackintosh and I wasn't sure whether it was because of it was a Hackintosh or not, but apparently...it isn't.

Nov 12, 2013 2:34 PM in response to BDAqua

Hey BDAqua, I received my AirPort card, the eMac is PERFECT!

...when the network I'm trying to access isn't encrypted however.

So I receive the error "Unable to connect to "NETWORKHERE"" upon entering the correct password so I turn off the password and all other security.

Works perfectly, however this network cannot remain open, so what do I do from here?

The network is encrypted with

WPA2-PSK

TKIP

Dec 12, 2013 8:57 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua

I have been going through this issue and would like your input... I have an iMac and my gal uses my old emac...

it is the 2005 model... last made I think. Recently changed ISPs... went from dsl to cable signal and this required new router (WPA2) and because of its location ... had to get wireless capability in emac... so bought an airport extreme card on ebay and installed it. iMac is much much faster. eMac is also depending on site... BUT...

sites like this one or Facebook it takes an age if it connects at all.

I can get on a data heavy site like NHL.com no problem... fast. But if she tries to get onto facebook it grunts ... and the conection wheel turns and turns.

Have gone through all connectivity things, assistants etc. the signal is pretty strong... and even if I move the router to the same room and boost signal more it still stalls on facebook and some other "community" or type sites.

Different browsers make no difference... Can ANYONE make a suggestion... other than upgrade computer or go back to DSL and ethernet... slower but it worked fine with that.

Any settings adjustment or work around? Anything at all?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 12, 2013 11:06 AM in response to timfromstratford

I'd try this first...

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

10.4 instructions...

Try putting these in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers:, for that Interface...

Also, turn off IPv6:

System Preferences » Network » AirPort » TCP/IP tab » Configure IPv6

Dec 13, 2013 7:17 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello BDAqua,

Thanks for the reply.

Apple eMac - 2005

Power PC G4 (1.2)

Power Mac 6.4

CPU 1.42 GHZ

L2 Cache 512 KB

Mem. 1 GB

The eMac is running Tiger 10.4.11 which I always found was a pretty solid OS.

So I tried the changes you suggested, thanks for those, but it seemed to make no difference.

And FYI... the IPv6 must be turned off first or there is no window available to put in the DNS numbers.

It also had TWO places to turn on/off IPv6... does that seem right to you?

Anyway... tried all combinations with restarts etc. and it does not seem to improve things.

Does it make any sense for me to just upgrade the OS to 10.5 (if i can find it) ?

Is it possible that the web programs have advanced so much that older OS platforms simply cannot keep up?

I did have one bit of success... I tried downloading an older version of OPERA as an alternative browser (to Safari/Firefox) and it is able to pull up the sign-in page of Facebook with no problem... but does not improve or is slower responding to other search requests.... weird isn't it?

So what do you think about "upgrading" to OS 10.5 ??

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the input.

Dec 13, 2013 11:57 AM in response to timfromstratford

And FYI... the IPv6 must be turned off first or there is no window available to put in the DNS numbers.

It also had TWO places to turn on/off IPv6... does that seem right to you?

Hmmm, each interface has it's own setting for IPv6 & other things...

User uploaded file

Is it possible that the web programs have advanced so much that older OS platforms simply cannot keep up?

Oh yes, getting to be more of a problem every day it seems. Some other Btowser options, but avoid the new TFF24, look for an older version...

TenFourFox is the most up to date browser for our PPCs, they even have G4 & G5 optimized versions...

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

SeaMonkey seems pretty fast also, with many options...

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

Might also look for iCab version for 10.4.11

So what do you think about "upgrading" to OS 10.5 ??

It's a mixed bag, but if you do it, upgrade to 2 GB of RAM for sure...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: eMac

Model Identifier: PowerMac6,4

Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

Processor Speed: 1.42 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 1

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.9.2f1

Leopard requirements/10.5.x...

* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

minimum system requirements

* 512MB of memory (I say 1.5GB for PPC at least, 2-3GB minimum for IntelMacs)

* DVD drive for installation

* 9GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

Classic/OS9 Apps no longer supported.

May be available from Apple again... ???

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4720126?tstart=0

Trouble is Apple no longer sells it, check eBay & such for the Retail version, not the Gray Discs...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mac+os+x+leopard+retail+10.5

Dec 16, 2013 7:04 AM in response to lbonini1

Just as a final hooray... have loaded TenFourFox (version specifically for G4's) in the eMac and it works like a charm. I highly recommend this to anyone having online issues with their present (contemporary) browser and G4 Mac. Now even the eMac is showing a considerable improvement on upload/download with my new ISP and seems to be running glitch free so far... Quite amazing really ... thanks again.

eMac (2002 700Mhz) Wi-Fi Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.