Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to uninstall Western Digital Smartware?

I got an email from Western Digital warning of data loss when upgrading to Mavericks and recommending that WD Smartware be uninstalled, naturally I've been trying to do it. And I remember that I've tried to do it before, because the software is a useless POS, but never successfully. It always keeps coming back, apparently reinstalling itself from someplace.

In the latest attempt, when I run WD Smartware Uninstaller and click "uninstall," the little icon immediate disappears from the menu bar, confirming that it is honestly trying to do something, but it then enters a peculiar state in which the barberpole spins endlessly and whatever it is trying to do never completes. In this state, the "WD Smartware Uninstall" window cannot be dragged, and clicking on on the application icon in the Dock does not bring it to the front. On rebooting, WD Smartware is there again.

Ideas?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 4:17 PM

Contact WD.

24 replies

Nov 3, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Daniel P. B. Smith

Try this. Click on the Desktop, Finder->Go->Go to folder->enter /var/db/receipts/, and click the Go button. Once the window opens, put it into list view, and search for anything that has WD or Smartware in it. See if there are any bom files. If so, open the Terminal app, type lsbom followed by a space and then drag the bom file into the window that pops up, and hit the return key. That should give you a complete list of everything the installer put on the machine and where. Then, manually go to those places and delete the items.

Nov 5, 2013 7:07 AM in response to baltwo

I really thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately there is no bom file.

WD Support popose to put the applications in the trash and restart!

I did it, but after restart I found three active processes owned by root:

WDSmartWareD, wdhelper, WDDMService.

I found related files hidden in several places in the system but I'm not sure if I can remove them in a harmless way.

Nov 5, 2013 10:33 AM in response to baltwo

The question is: how do you know which things are safe to delete. For example, is "wdhelper" part of the Western DIgital suite, or is it a "WirelessDiagnosticsSupport.framework XPC helper launchd daemon," as mentioned at https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man8/wdhelper.8.html

Similarly, how do you know which "WD" items are value-"added" Smartware components that can be safely deleted, and which are somehow related to normal drive functioning?

Nov 5, 2013 1:45 PM in response to Daniel P. B. Smith

From the WD SmartWare Software Manual, Page 66.

Uninstalling the WD SmartWare Software

1. Double-clicktheMyBookicononthedesktopanddouble-clicktheWDSmartWare Software Installer for Mac application:

1. Select the Uninstall check box on the WD SmartWare Installer for Mac screen to display the Uninstall WD SmartWare dialog:
  2. If you want to keep WD Quick View installed to discover network-attached WD storage devices and provide drive status information, clear the Uninstall WD Quick View check box.
  3. Click Uninstall.
  4. Type the password that you normally use to access the computer in the Password

box and click OK:

5. Wait for the uninstallation to complete. This could take several minutes:

1. Reappearance of the WD SmartWare Software Installer screen signifies that the software has been uninstalled:
  2. Click Quit to close the WD SmartWare Installer for Mac screen.

User uploaded file

Nov 7, 2013 7:53 PM in response to Daniel P. B. Smith

Are these files also part of the Western Digital Smartware software, and if so, should they be deleted? If yes, how should they be deleted?

/Library/Extensions/WD1394_64HPDriver.kext

/Library/Extensions/WD1394HPDriver.kext

/Library/Extensions/WDUSB_64HPDriver.kext

/Library/Extensions/WDUSBHPDriver.kext

Note: These files are still there after I had successfully run the WD Software Uninstaller that Western Digital posted to their website - http://community.wd.com/t5/News-Announcements/External-Drives-for-Mac-Experienci ng-Data-Loss-with-Maverick-OS/m-p/613777#M379

Nov 8, 2013 4:16 AM in response to Kenny and his Imac

Yikes! This is SCARY stuff. Kenny, my GUESS would be that these files are actually part of Mac OS X itself. A way to find out would be to see whether they exist on a recent-ish Mac OS X system that has never had a external Western Digital drive installed. I'm thinking they might needed to have the drive work as a drive. Since the WD drive has both FireWire (IEEE 1394) and USB interfaces, I guess one could try just deleting, say, the USB files and seeing whether the drive now works only with FireWire, but--well, personally I am not touching ANYTHING in THAT directory.

Here's where I'm at. I deleted

com.WesternDigital.WDSmartWareD.plist

com.wdc.WDDMservice.plist

from LaunchDaemons; I deleted the entire WD Smartware directory from Application Support; and I deleted WD Smartware.App itself.

When I restart, there is no SmartWare icon in the menu. There is one process running whose name begins with wd, "wdhelper". Notice that "wd" are lowercase. I don't think this is a Western Digital, I think it might be something to do with WirelessDiagnosticsSupport.framework.

The WD drive seems to work and DiskUtility finds nothing wrong with it.

I am, however, dreading the update. You may be sure I will physically disconnect all external drives before updating. The scary/ironic part is that the WD drive is the one with the partition on which I keep a bootable backup copy of the OS, i.e. it's the one that's supposed to be there to boot from if an update goes wrong.

What I'm really worried about is that I've deleted SmartWare a few times and it always comes back. I have the feeling that perhaps there's some way-too-clever stuff on the WD drive itself that executes when the drive mounts and reinstalls Smartware or something of the sort.

No, I still haven't contacted WD. I just have no faith that they would know what to do after the first thing they told me to do didn't work, and, yes, at this point I'm in an awful never-never land where my attempts at manual deletion mean that at this point you might not even expect the uninstaller to work.

Moral: The next time I buy an external drive, the first thing I will do is reformat it to remove any and all "value-added" software. My WD drive has this stupid LCD window that's supposed to show how full it is, and like an idiot didn't wipe SmartWare because I wanted the window to work.

How to uninstall Western Digital Smartware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.