Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set default font size in Notes app?

I use the Notes app quite a bit, but since the change to Mavericks, I find the default font size far too small. (and I don't like the new overall plain design either - too stark. I much prefered my old "Skeuomorphed" notepad look and feel. Why they couldn't have left that as an option, I don't know... - but I digress...)

I've managed to change the default font style back to "Noteworthy", but there's no option to change the default SIZE.

I did come across a "hack" on Cult of Mac ( http://www.cultofmac.com/217015/change-the-default-font-size-in-notes-app-on-you r-mac-os-x-tips/ ), but that was for the older Notes app and doesn't work on this newer version in Mavericks.

Anyone have similar guidance for the new version?

Tx

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 6:31 PM

16 replies

Nov 5, 2013 6:31 AM in response to PCNYC

I already tried it and it works. The only difference in the method I used was that I used a text editor Sublime 3 instead of the built in Nano. You can also use the regular text editor TextEdit that comes with MacOS. It's all to accomplish the same thing, to edit this file:

/Applications/Notes.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/DefaultFonts.plist

Also, they used sudo in front of that file in the terminal because you need admin rights to alter the file but I just opened the file in my text editor ( you don't need admin right to read it just change it), edit the file and then hit save which then prompted me to enter my password. It's the same thing but approached from a different angle. The fact of the matter is that this particular file contains the parameters you need to change to make the font anything you want.

If you don't know anything about the Mac subsystems, just follow the instructions on that page and you'll do fine.

Nov 23, 2013 2:21 AM in response to PCNYC

The answers you received are missing two things:

1. The resource file is localized. So, if you are not using english as main language for OS X, you may want to edit a different file. I use italian as system language, so rather than

/Applications/Notes.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/DefaultFonts.plist

I have to edit

/Applications/Notes.app/Contents/Resources/it.lproj/DefaultFonts.plist

2. The correct sequence to follow is:

- Shut down Notes.app (cmd-Q)

- Edit and save the file

- Reopen Notes.app

- switch to a different default font (I use Noteworthy, so I switched to Helvetica) with Menu commands

- switch back to your default font. Else, I noticed that Notes.app is not going to read again its preference file.

- enjoy :-D

Jan 22, 2014 2:43 PM in response to beccoblu

It is sad this is the only solution. There is an established OSX Design pattern that places user level options in the user's Library directroy so that software updates would not change their preferences. Users should not have to jump through these types of hoops to write notes in their favorite font.

Sorry, just a note to remind the community 🙂

Feb 25, 2014 11:59 AM in response to beccoblu

The last point in beccoblu's instruction is crucial. Changing to another font just for the program to read the resources file and then changing back to your preferred font. I had peformed all the steps as per other users' instructions, but nothing happened until beccoblu suggested "renewing" the Notes app. Thanks.

ps: it is definitely ridiculous that we have to jump through the hoops in order to perform such a primitive change. I know the designers of Mac OS X try hard to keep the system clean and free from endless customizations that plague Windows, but why not at least give the users a choice. Make it customizable, but hide it from plain view.

Mar 29, 2014 4:39 AM in response to beccoblu

Thank you so much for posting this information. The inability to change the default font size had been a nuisance with the Notes app. I followed the instructions using Terminal (thank you), went back and checked Notes, but the font size was still the same. I double checked my changes, and they were still there, a font size of 18 was recorded in the .plist file. It was when I read that you had to go through a sequence of changing font styles, that my changes took effect. So, great, now using Notes is much more enjoyable.

Mar 30, 2014 2:50 AM in response to PCNYC

Hi

I changed to a new MacPro and Mavericks yesterday, noted, that the Notes.app font was just about 2mm high on my iPhone and could not be changed there, checked on the net for information, found your remarks and wondered about how coplicated you all went about it, and found the solution within 1 minute?

Open Notes.app in your computer, open one of your Notes files (that still looked the same and I always use Bold, Caps, Helvetica) and increase the size with Format / Font / Bigger Size and watch how it adjusts on your iPhone and your computer - no problem at all ...

Suzanne

Mar 20, 2015 7:55 AM in response to beccoblu

beccoblu's instructions worked for me and I didn't have to change from and back to my desired font; it just worked right from the start. I'm using Yosemite 10.10.2.

I used TextEdit to edit the defaultfonts.plist file after dragging a copy to the desktop and editing that copy. Then I dragged the new version back to the original's location and was prompted for the admin password. Fixed!

Set default font size in Notes app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.