Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing numbers spreadsheet across devices yet be able to work on it offline

I have a MacBook Pro with OS X Maverick and Numbers 3.0. I have a numbers file which I want to keep on my MacBook so I can work on it when not connected to the internet. However I thought that Maverick (when connected to the internet) would automatically put a duplicate on iCloud which could then be accessed by by other devices (as well as directly via the Web). However that does not seem to be the case. I tried uploading the file to iCloud (by moving the icon to the index on the web) and succeeded, but that copy is independent from the one on my Mac and does not update when I make changes on the one on my hard disk. I tried "moving" my file to the Web, and that worked, except that it disappeared from my hard disk. Is there a way to have a spreadsheet that synchs across devices, but is also accessible when not connected to the web?

MacBookPro3.1, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 7:10 PM

1 reply

Nov 3, 2013 4:54 AM in response to RauldeB

Hi RauldeB,

Are you sure you have Numbers sync activated in System Preferences> iCloud?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If so, then Numbers documents you move to iCloud from within the application should sync to your iCloud and to other devices you've connected to it.

You can move a document to iCloud from File>Move to... in the menu or by clicking the document title:

User uploaded file

On the Mac (and iPad too) you can work with those documents when you're not connected to the internet. I usually open them from Numbers, which knows where they are (once they're synced to iCloud, Numbers doesn't keep them in your usual Documents folder).

But if want to find them using Finder you can do that by holding down the option key and choosing 'Library' from the 'Go' menu, then navigating (in Finder) to the 'Mobile Documents folder in the Library and looking for a subfolder named something like 'com~apple~Numbers'.

SG

Accessing numbers spreadsheet across devices yet be able to work on it offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.