Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save a pages document as a word document

With the upgrade to OS Maverick, they took away the option to save a pages document as a word document. i know that i can "share" the document and export as a word document. But I need to SAVE it to my Mac as a word document. On my universities' website, I have to be able to upload word documents. I am not allowed to email/share them. Any tips???

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 6:45 PM

22 replies

Nov 2, 2013 11:51 PM in response to kp0303

This is the text in the help file. http://help.apple.com/pages/mac/5.0/

Export in PDF, Word, Plain Text, ePub or Pages ’09 file formats

1. Choose File > Export > [file format] (the File menu is at the top of your computer screen).
  2. Specify export settings, which differ depending on file type:
    • PDF: Choose an image quality. The higher the image quality, the larger the file size of the exported copy.
    • Word: Click the Advanced Options disclosure triangle to choose a format. If you select the “Require password to open” tickbox, enter the requested information.
    • ePub: Enter the title and author name, then choose a category from the pop-up menu if you want your book to appear in a particular category. Click the Advanced Options disclosure triangle to set the language and book cover.Note: If your document is a layout document (Document Body is deselected in the Document pane of the Setup inspector), you can’t export to the ePub format.
    • Pages ‘09: Select the “Require password to open” tickbox, then enter the requested information.The password you set protects only your exported copy, not the original file. If the original file already has a password, it applies to the exported file as well. To set a password for the original document, see Set a password.
  3. Click Next, then type a name for the documentThe file format suffix is automatically appended to the document name.
  4. Enter one or more tags (optional).
  5. Choose where to save the document from the Where pop-up menu, then click Export.To see more locations, click the arrow next to Save As.

Sep 4, 2014 8:57 PM in response to picas

Ah, most editing programs do this by default, actually. Opening a file in textpad, notepad and TextEdit for example yields the same filename output when you ctrl+s. Never ask why when you clearly have not used "common" programs, or at least understood their functions at all too well.

There are a number of people, like me, who like this behaviour. It makes sense to me for it to be this way, it is unobtrusive as well as it is unassertive and has been this way since Adam was a boy. FileIN --> edit --> FileOut. Not FileIN --> edit --FileOut.Pages

Going over other forums has yielded an Info.plist (Open Package contents on the Pages application in Finder with TextPad/TextEdit etc) which worked as expected when one changed all Viewer entries to Editor for Pages'09. This latest iteration, however, has gotten sly and removed those entries... The search continues.

Save a pages document as a word document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.