Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks won't allow docunments to print via WiFi network printer

The only problem I've had with Mavericks on my Late 2007 Mac Book Pro laptop is that I can no longer

print to my HP 3180 Photosmart Printer over my Airport Extreme WiFi Network.

When I connect to the printer directly via USB 2 cable, then it prints fine.

But not being able to print over the WiFi network is a big deal. I hope Apple addresses this issue

for the next upgrade (which I hope is soon)

pvmikev1

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 7:52 PM

28 replies

Nov 2, 2013 9:42 PM in response to pvmikev1

Is the HP 3180 Photosmart a wireless printer?

A printer connected to a Mac's USB port and the same printer connected wirelessly or to your Extreme may as well be two different printers, as far as the Mac is concerned.

These instructions may help: OS X Mountain Lion: Set up a printer

It may be beneficial to reset the printing system and add the printer again: Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system

Nov 3, 2013 3:35 PM in response to pvmikev1

The printer is not a wireless printer, it is a usb printer on a Mac Mini (running Tiger) with Printer Sharing turned on (just like I had when I ran my laptop with Snow Leopard). The Mac Mini is connected to Airport Extreme router.

I reset the print system, and added back the bonjour printer: Photosmart 3100 series driver back.

When I printed, the response dialog box says, Opening Connection and then Printing closing connection.

Finally the file is deleted from the Print Queue. But nothing still gets printed. It never actually sends the file over my Airport Extreme connection like it used to under Snow Leopard.

I would appreciate any other ideas you might have as to why Mavericks doesn't print, but Snow Leopard does.

pvMikeV

Nov 3, 2013 5:13 PM in response to pvmikev1

I don't have a quick answer for you pvMikeV other than to suggest setting up the printer again as if it were new. Upgrading from Snow Leopard to anything later results in somewhat of a rocky transition with one's existing printers. I suggest you repeat the "reset printing system" on the Mini as well. The procedure is slightly different for Tiger but that document explains it.

Make the printer work with the Mini and it should continue to work when it is shared. If not, try connecting the printer directly to your MacBook Pro, add it as a new printer, and verify that it works. That ought to rule out any Mavericks incompatibility. Just be sure to create a new printer entry in Print & Fax for each different kind of connection. Delete ones you no longer need.

Nov 3, 2013 8:08 PM in response to John Galt

John,

I did all of the things you recommended to no avail.

I reset printing on the mini mac and it continues to print fine directly connected to the mini mac.

I then connected the printer directly to the USB port on my laptop running with Mavericks and

it prints fine too. It just won't send the file over Airport Extreme to the printer even though the driver is specific

to the HP PhotoSmart C3100 series @ the location of the mac mini. When connected directly to the printer the driver is for a usb direct connection and has no problem printing in Mavericks directly through the USB port.

Has anyone else reported similar problems printing over a wifi network using the Bonjour driver with Mavericks?

Frustrated.

Mike

Nov 3, 2013 10:18 PM in response to John Galt

John,

I tried the "Generic Postscript" driver with my HP Photosmart 3180 and it does print over my WiFi network using Mavericks to my HP Photosmart 3180.

However, you'd think the HP Photosmart 3100 series software that downloads with Mavericks should work and allow you to address the unique features of the printer (as it did under Snow Leopard).

So it's the HP Driver that has an incompatibiltiy with Mavericks or vice versa when printing over WiFi.

Apple and HP need to talk (to each other). So for now, at least I have a work-around.

You might want to pass this info to other HP users having the same issue.

Nov 4, 2013 9:22 AM in response to pvmikev1

Great! Thanks for the update Mike.

Since Lion, Apple has mandated that all printer driver updates go through them. Apple doesn't write the drivers, they just distribute them through the Mac App Store. So the problem is likely to be HP's, and HP has enough trouble talking to HP. Every time the App Store announces an HP driver update I cringe thinking my ancient HP printers will stop working, but that hasn't happened yet.

I'll keep your solution in mind and will refer people with similar problems to this thread. Thanks for finding the workaround.

Nov 10, 2013 3:14 AM in response to John Galt

A "me too" post I'm afraid. It's not just the HP 2200 which refuses to print but my Dymo label printers too.

I do have another HP printer which is native wireless (LaserJet 400) and that prints fine, The other printers are connected over Iomega iConnect boxes which worked fine under Mountain Lion but now refuse. The symptoms are exactly those described by the OP, the document appears to print as far as the MacBook is concerned but the printer does nothing. This suggests that it's not (just?) the HP drivers which are problem.

Nov 11, 2013 2:25 AM in response to KeithGParr

Me too. iMAc + Mavericks + directly-connected Brother 1250 laser printer set up for network sharing. Two MacBook Airs with Mavericks on same BT WiFi network as iMac can no longer print to the iMac's Brother 1250 printer. Printing to a WiFi-connected Samsung printer failed as well. I believe this is an Apple Mavericks O/S issue, a bug. It needs fixing.

Nov 11, 2013 11:03 AM in response to ChrisMellor

Same problem here, with a Xerox Phaser 3200MFP.

It looks like it sends the file to the printer but the printer does nothing. Haven't tried with a USB connection because I don't want to use it this way, and the printer is further than the longest cable I have. Also, I need this setup because I want to use Internet Printing to print in another city.

The thing is that under Windows 7 the printer works fine on WiFi, and I can also print over the Internet. Also, I can even to network scanning over WiFi, which is not possible on Mac.

What can we do?

PS: The only solution that I see for the moment is to run Windows under Parallels, share the printer in the virtual machine and then connect to the network printer but this is a weird solution for a Mac, isn't it? 🙂

Nov 23, 2013 8:38 AM in response to pvmikev1

I am having exactly the same problem with two different Canon printers and a Mac mini running Mavericks: they print when plugged in directly using USB, but can't be found when only on wi-fi. I have an iPhone and an iPad which can find both of the printers and print from them. My conclusion is there must be some incompatibility between Canon and Mavericks. Hoping for a patch soon!

Dec 6, 2013 4:09 PM in response to Spikey Bill

Same here! I have an HP 1510 Deskjet USB printer. Works fine directly connected to my macbook air. But connected to my QNAP box the wifi printing doesn't work. You can see the job reach the print server on the QNAP box, just fails to print.

Frustratingly though, if I run Windows 7 in virtual box on my macbook air it prints fine over wifi! Plus it works fine on my wife's laptop that is running snow leopard.

Grrrr! Not impressed Apple. Sort it out!

Dec 7, 2013 7:06 PM in response to pvmikev1

Until today, I was having a problem that sounds in some ways similar to those discussed in this threat.

I have an HP Laserjet 1220 connected by USB cable to a second generation Airport Extreme. Under OS X 10.5 I was able to print to the Laserjet fine over my Airport Extreme WiFi network. When I bought a new MacBook Pro running Mavericks, I wasn't. I also noticed that the Airport Utility 6.3.2 could not "see" my Airport Extreme - although I did have internet connectivity. I have spent around six hours on the phone with various Apple experts (and HP experts), having logged official support cases with both, and these calls have included several screen-sharing sessions, trying to solve this problem - without success. Along the way, I tried several times turning off my Mavericks firewall, but that had no effect.

Today, however, I noticed in my Firewall settings that with the Firewall ON (which is normally is) incoming connections were disallowed for mDNSResponder. As soon as I changed this setting to allow incoming connections, the Airport utility was able to see my Airport Extreme, and I was able to create a printer for my HP Laserjet 1220 and print to it.

I'm not saying this will be the solution to everyone's problems, but it has been the solution to mine.

Mavericks won't allow docunments to print via WiFi network printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.