12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2014 1:32 AM by Big Dave in Oz
Stefano Level 2 Level 2 (325 points)

I have been patienty waiting for something to improve but alas ... nothing yet. Freezes happen when working happily with a range of apps, can't work out any pattern. Suspect grey-screen of death is happening when waking up from sleep, screen-saver starting and definatley when switching users and loggin out. This iMac has been hard-reset more times since Mavericks than in it's entire lifetime.

Verified the HD = AOK.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Stefan's iMac
  • iRokslyd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My late 2009 core i5 is unbootable and unusable since installing Mavericks.  This *****.

• NewJacobite Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Do you have an older UPS battery backup connected to your iMac with a USB cable? I found that the USB connection from my old UPS to my new iMac was causing problems, eventually including causing startup to hang. Just a thought...

• iRokslyd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

When I troubleshoot a problem  I always disconect everything except what is needed which in this case only a keyboard and mouse (USB) and proceed from there.  What I get tired of hearing is the suggestion from all of the Mac Geeks that have all the answers for troubleshooting an obvious widespread problem that somehow it is the fault of the hardware and not the thing in common that we all did just before the problems all started.  I have been a Mac user since 1982 and I know when something is wrong with my machines and I am pretty good at fixing anything.  I support 500+ students and 60 staff members that use over 200 iPads and 40 MacBook Pros and a bunch of other Macs.  As loyal customers Apple should show a little respect for the people that stuck with them in the lean years.

• cdoolan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had similar trouble with my late 2009 iMac.

After taking these steps I am back to normal for now:

Uninstalled Flip4Mac application. (A windows media video player)

Reinstalled Mavericks: Command-R after tone in start-up.

Reset the SMC > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

This help was from user mende1

My computer hangs in Mavericks when on Safari pages using Flash.

• rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (49,005 points)

cdoolan wrote:

My computer hangs in Mavericks when on Safari pages using Flash.

Try a Flash update.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (165,445 points)

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models.  The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

I've updated Flash and everything else. Re-installed Mavericks. Still get frequent freezes in both the Guest account as well as my normal login.

Trying Safe mode and so far so good but there is only so much you can do in safe mode.

• Barfety Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We're having the same problem here.  Switch user, she opens Safari on her side and after a short time it freezes.  Can't get back to my user. 

• Stefano Level 2 Level 2 (325 points)

I created an install disk on a USB drive and installed from scratch. Everything running perfectly now.

I assume creating an upgrade is more difficult than a fresh install.

• bizdata Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Have had just the same here. iMac 27. That sounds weird, but turning WiFi on solved the issue.

• Big Dave in Oz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Lots of weirdness hey.

I was having video freezes of varying lengths regularly. Very frustrating on my brand new 27" iMac running Mavericks.

I did most of the reccomendations we've probably all read, but then I stopped using the Chrome browser to watch You Tube, reverted to Safari  and it hasn't locked up since.

Mine was some sort of Flash issue I suspect.