Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder, all other apps unresponsive

Hi guys, I need some serious help.

About a day ago, finder stopped responding.

Everytime I try to launch, I'm met with the infamous beach ball.

I've tried launching other apps with no success.

Whicever app I try to launch shows on the taskbar, but no actual window opens.

I've tried launching from Spotlight, no luck.

Basically, I can launch NO app at all. Few keyboard short cuts seem to work. I'm virtually unable to access/launch anything.
I've booted in safe mode, but it appears as if this makes no difference. I don't have a guest account, and because once I log in everything becomes unresponsive, I am unable to create one.

At this stage I can't really access much, the best specs I can give at this time is that my Macbook is a mid 2010 model and I've recently upgraded to OS X Mavericks.

I do not have a boot disk or any installation disks. 😟

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 1:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 1:35 AM

Boot into your Recovery partition by holding down the Command and R keys whilst booting.

Once there, open Disk Utility and first verify and, if needed, repair your hard drive. I suspect that it may be failing: however, if you get the green text saying everything appears to be OK on your hard drive, we'll just have to look for another culprit.

Clinton

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2013 1:35 AM in response to tiafromor

Boot into your Recovery partition by holding down the Command and R keys whilst booting.

Once there, open Disk Utility and first verify and, if needed, repair your hard drive. I suspect that it may be failing: however, if you get the green text saying everything appears to be OK on your hard drive, we'll just have to look for another culprit.

Clinton

Finder, all other apps unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.