Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My dashboard still has canvas background in Mavericks. Why? or How to change to new color?

The forums are all lit up about the wonderful new dashboard background in Mavericks. Mine still has the grid background that has been around in the last versions of OS X. What to do?

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 1:17 AM

8 replies

Nov 4, 2013 1:29 PM in response to kaykrum

Hello kaykrum,

This can be achieved by going into System Preferences, then to Mission Control, then unchecking the checkbox labelled "Show Dashboard as a space."

Tip: In OS X Mountain Lion, if you want to change Dashboard back to its OS X Lion and earlier interface, open Mission Control preferences in System Preferences and uncheck the "Show Dashboard as a space" option.

Mac Basics: Dashboard

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2492

Cheers,

Allen

Nov 18, 2013 3:37 PM in response to kaykrum

• Simply find another picture that you like (in png format) duplicate it. You need two of the same picture.
  • Name one dbgrid.png and name the other dbgrid@2x.png
  • Drop those into the folder: system/library/coreservices/Dock (right click and click show package contents)/contents/resources. You will have to input your password to verify.
  • Then open Terminal and type:" killall Dock " (no quotes) and return.
  • A three finger sweep should show you your new dashboard background.

Nov 18, 2013 3:40 PM in response to kaykrum

I think you must be mistaken. There's no fancy color in the Mavericks dashboard background. It's actually quite ugly... A grey grid. Everyone is trying to change it with a custom wallpaper. You can change it to whatever photo you want, even your desktop wallpaper, by following the tips I posted here. It's prettier than the default Mavericks grey grid.

Nov 19, 2013 10:04 AM in response to kaykrum

Technically, your instructions were perfect. Aesthetically it's not quite perfect. What happens is: the top half of the dashboard background is the lower half of my picture, the bottom half of the dashboard background is a neutral light blue (which goes fine with the picture). So it is not exactly "the whole thing", but it's better than the yukky stuff Apple has on default there.

So: thanks! You helped!

My dashboard still has canvas background in Mavericks. Why? or How to change to new color?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.