Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not able to see Create AAC version to make ringtone

I've a 30 seconds MP3 ringtone and I'm just trying to create a ringtone on my iphone mobile using iTunes with the help of the tutorials available online. However, i'm just stuck in the middle. I couldn't able to find an option to create AAC Version to in order to proceed to the next step.

Please help me in customizing my ringtones 🙂

Thanks,

Baash

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 2:01 AM

28 replies

Oct 25, 2017 5:42 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks.

So many of the online webpages describe the last step as dragging the m4r file to the phone icon on the phone Summary page. Is this the tiny icon in the upper left hand corner? It doesn't seem to work on my PC. Will the Add File to Library option in the File menu not work? I use it for my IPod.

I have a mid range audio editor which can load an AAC file, extract a segment and save it as a m4r file. The audio signal is shown as a visual so it's easy to pick out a 30 secondsegment. I've tried using a file created this way using the the Add File to Library and I get a message "This file cannot be added" Is there now a restriction on home-made stuff in IOS 11 or ITunes 12.7?

Oct 25, 2017 8:37 AM in response to turingtest2

I found that the Tones folder in the device will accept a transfer. However I got a message that the file format is not acceptable. I had transfer ed the song file from ITunes to my audio software as an aac file. The program allows me to save it as a m4r file. All the instructions I've seen say to manually change the file extensio to m4r. From what i know of files, changing the type does not convert the data structure. I have software that is fully devoted to audio file format conversion. So I'm guessing that Apple wants to see a file originally in aac but with the extension changed. This way they can prevent material from 3rd party sources being used (When a CD is ripped its files are normally converted to aac.) So I'm going to try loading an excerpt modified as aac and with the manual extension change.

Oct 25, 2017 8:44 AM in response to sirag

When you rip a CD iTunes uses the current import settings to determine what format to rip to.

When you convert existing media to a new format it uses the same settings.

You're lucky iTunes gave you an error message at all, but what it hasn't done is tell you what is unacceptable, it could be duration, format, bit rate, or something else.

iTunes doesn't have a history of what was done to prepare the file, either it is acceptable or it isn't.

tt2

Oct 25, 2017 8:46 AM in response to turingtest2

I found that I can make a direct transfer to the tones folder in the device. However, the file was not accepted because of the file type. The song copy I edited was in aac format but I saved it in m4r format. I know that changing a file extension will not change the file format so I'm guessing I'll have to change the extension as required in the information I've found. Probably required so Apple can confirm the original source.

Oct 25, 2017 9:16 AM in response to sirag

Probably required so Apple can confirm the original source.

Not relevant for self made ringtones. AAC format audio file, less than 40 seconds long, or 30 seconds if you want to use as a text tone, and with a .m4r file extension instead of the usual .m4a. You might want to cut the file in iTunes if the dedicated tool cannot hack it.

tt2

Oct 25, 2017 1:16 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for all your help. I used my own audio software to identify the precise 30 second tidbit in the songs (All you need is love for my wife, Goldfinger and Raiders of the Lost Ark for my sons) and then used the ITunes tools to create the ringtones. They loaded successfully.

Interestingly I thought all the ITunes store music downloaded as AAC but that apparently is not the case. About 85% of my music is from my CD collection and the rest is downloaded. My media library is about 70 GB and I have an active backup copy on a network drive. All the best.

Oct 25, 2017 1:58 PM in response to Bashaa

Make your own. Change any music file into a .mp4a file. Make sure it’s not more than 40 seconds long. Make sure your folder options are set to show extensions. Your looking for the .mp4a after what ever the file is called. Right click the file and click rename. Change the a to an r and save. Ignore the warning that file man not work or be able to be open message. Import into iTunes using the ring tone tap - add file.

Dec 6, 2017 12:53 PM in response to Southerly48

Thank you. Apple offers no help at all and simply tells me 3rd party tones are no longer allowed. Finally, someone here who actually helps. Apple support *****.

I tried to say apple support does an action that is the opposite of blowing, similar to the action a vacuum cleaner performs. But apparently apple is really sensitive to being called out on their shortcomings, and my post was censored. Tough nuts, guys, you blew it. Just live with it.

Nov 3, 2013 2:41 PM in response to Bashaa

Stuck in the middle of what - you haven't said. I'll assume therefore that you have found "create xx version".

To be able to create the AAC version, your import settings for a CD needs to be set to AAC. To do that, go to Edit/Preferences/General>Import Settings>Import Using and change the import using to AAC. You will then find that the list contains Create AAC version.

Nov 3, 2013 11:12 PM in response to the fiend

Hi,

Thanks for your response. However, I do not understand on where I should actually follow those above steps.

I meant, i'm stuck in the middle of the process for creating my own customized ringtone.

Please have a look at the below URL where it describes on how to customize our own ringtone using iTunes.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/audio/3274143/make-song-your-iphone-ringtone/

I couldn't able to proceed further beyond 4th step as there is no option visible for me to create that AAC Version.

Hope now you could be able to help me out from this 🙂

Thanks

Nov 4, 2013 2:26 AM in response to Bashaa

As previously mentioned;

"To be able to create the AAC version, your import settings for a CD needs to be set to AAC. To do that, go to Edit/Preferences/General>Import Settings>Import Using and change the import using to AAC. You will then find that the list contains Create AAC version."

The Edit menu is on the top menu bar. If you cannot see the menu bar, press the CTRL and the B button together and the menu bar will be displayed. Alternatively, see the next secreenshot:

User uploaded file

On the Menu Bar, select Edit/Preferences...

User uploaded file

... because until you do that, the right-click menu (shown in step 4 of your instructions) will show Create xx Version where xx is whichever option you have selected under Import Using:

Look at the following screenshots;

User uploaded file

and

User uploaded file

Same song, but Create AAC version only appears once you have set the Import Using: option to AAC.

not able to see Create AAC version to make ringtone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.