Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

REALLY Clean Install Mavericks

I have a 13" Late 2012 MBP which I upgraded with a Crucial M500 SSD on which I clean installed Mavericks the day after its launch. The SSD was brand new then, so this was the first thing it was used for, straight out of the box.

Now, I have a "talent" of messing with system files and I may have done something wrong here and there, because OS X is not as smooth as it was supposed to be (for example, compared with 10.8.5 which I previously had on it). App crashes here and there, Safari being very slow or "forgetting" that I clicked on a link etc.

I have verified and repaired the startup disk (from Recovery Mode), same with the permissions, I scanned and repaired it with OnyX but still it doesn't perform as expected.

So I decided to reinstall Mavericks, from scratch. As I would really hate to "inherit" some of these bugs on the new install, I REALLY want to to start fresh. So I need a clean install, free of any doubts, just like if it were brand new again.

Are there any tips other than the normal clean install? By normal clean install I understand making a bootable USB with 10.9, booting from it, erasing the startup drive with Disk Utility and then installing from the USB. (I prefer the USB method, since it would take a while to download 10.9 from Apple, i.e. using Internet Recovery).

And by the way, do you recommend a specific method of doing a bootable 10.9 USB? I tend to use the way via Terminal, but I also heard of DiskMakerX as an alternative.

And last but not least...am I paranoid? Should I worry less and simply do a straight clean install, as this is *really* the *really* good way to go? 🙂

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 5:03 AM

⌘R on Boot, Utilities->Disk Utility, Erase Disk, exit Disk Utility, Reistall OS X Mavericks.

(I prefer the USB method, since it would take a while to download 10.9 from Apple, i.e. using Internet Recovery).

edit: Or that...🙂

And by the way, do you recommend a specific method of doing a bootable 10.9 USB? I tend to use the way via Terminal, but I also heard of DiskMakerX as an alternative.

See: http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install -drive.html

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2013 5:03 AM in response to m3adi3c

⌘R on Boot, Utilities->Disk Utility, Erase Disk, exit Disk Utility, Reistall OS X Mavericks.

(I prefer the USB method, since it would take a while to download 10.9 from Apple, i.e. using Internet Recovery).

edit: Or that...🙂

See: http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install -drive.html

Nov 3, 2013 5:02 AM in response to Tony T1

Thank you. You're kind enough not to answer to my question whether or not I'm being paranoid 🙂

I have read the guide MacWorld provided and I'm aware of all those methods. Actually, I asked whether any of those methods is preferable, from an objective point of view (not "taste"). I'm tempted to stick with the Terminal method, since it's promoted by Apple itself. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Nov 3, 2013 5:30 AM in response to m3adi3c

Looks like I'm going to have to do the same with my imac since installing mavericks the "easy way" led to a locked apple screen. Despite doing all the remedies suggested, couldn't fix the problem. Had to restore back with Time machine. That being said, is there an easy guide to what files and where are those files that I should bring back from time machine after the clean install, e.g. itunes, documents, photos, videos etc? Thanks

Dec 8, 2013 10:07 AM in response to Tony T1

Tony, thank you very much for your replies above!

This is exactly what I was looking for, since I wanted to create a fresh Mavericks install on a 27" iMac that will be used for new work. This seemed to be the fastest way to completely erase and format the internal 2tb hard drive and save time by not having to let the iMac download the full install over the internet.

REALLY Clean Install Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.