Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Encoded Digital Audio to work with HDMI again

I like to connect my 15" Retina Macbook to my Pioneer VSX-1121-K receiver using a high speed HDMI cable (high speed for 3D). My sound settings for a long time have been very reliable; in Audio Midi Setup I had the HDMI output set to 48 kHz + "Encoded Digital Audio" and had no major issues. My encoded Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 signals were being passed through to the Pioneer receiver just fine.

So then I got Mavericks recently and everything seemed fine for a couple of days; when suddenly, Audio Midi Setup decided it never wants to allow the "Encoded Digital Audio" format to work.

I select VSX-1121 under System Preferences/Sound, but only get the standard blah PCM over the HDMI. Here's the weird part I don't understand: when I go to Audio Midi Setup and change the format from "2ch-24bit Integer" to "Encoded Digital Audio", it automatically switches the sound to Built-In Output and doesn't budge when I tell it to use the HDMI output.

I tried changing the sound effects & alerts to the Pioneer and back to Built-In Output, but that didn't affect anything. I've tried restarting, disconnecting the HDMI and plugging it back in, turning the receiver off/on, turning HDMI Control off/on, tried a different HDMI cable and receiver input -- all no dice.

It won't let me select 96 kHz for the HDMI either. What up with that? I was fooling around with FLACs in 192 and 96 kHz about a month ago with no problems whatsoever, and playing 5.1 DVDs without any of this weirdness. If it's somehow Mavericks' fault I want a big fat patch on this.

Other details: receiver's connected to a Panasonic VT30 that I use as a second screen with the Macbook for movies and stuff. Also have a current model AppleTV connected. I assume they're both not affecting anything.

Any solutions or insights would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 5:32 PM

Fiddled with it a little more. I think part of the problem is I'm using another high-speed HDMI cable as the master out for my receiver, and I'm using the Audio Return Channel with it to get sound from an antenna--to the TV--down to the receiver. Maybe it's causing the Macbook to "see" the TV as the audio destination instead of the receiver, and limits my audio options? When I turn the TV off, I get 192 and 96 kHz to work again, but Encoded Digital Audio still causes the auto switch to Built-In Output. Feels like I'm getting warmer on finding the solution, but I still can't figure why Encoded Digital Audio isn't working.

The other possibility might be the changes Apple made to secondary monitors with Mavericks. By changing the ways the screen and the Macbook interact it's somehow screwed up how digital passthrough to a receiver works? I was really loving how fast the second screen connects to the Macbook now, but maybe there's something going on with that that's screwing with the sound.

I'll keep twisting knobs and see what happens.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2013 5:32 PM in response to kvg13

Fiddled with it a little more. I think part of the problem is I'm using another high-speed HDMI cable as the master out for my receiver, and I'm using the Audio Return Channel with it to get sound from an antenna--to the TV--down to the receiver. Maybe it's causing the Macbook to "see" the TV as the audio destination instead of the receiver, and limits my audio options? When I turn the TV off, I get 192 and 96 kHz to work again, but Encoded Digital Audio still causes the auto switch to Built-In Output. Feels like I'm getting warmer on finding the solution, but I still can't figure why Encoded Digital Audio isn't working.

The other possibility might be the changes Apple made to secondary monitors with Mavericks. By changing the ways the screen and the Macbook interact it's somehow screwed up how digital passthrough to a receiver works? I was really loving how fast the second screen connects to the Macbook now, but maybe there's something going on with that that's screwing with the sound.

I'll keep twisting knobs and see what happens.

Nov 6, 2013 10:42 AM in response to kvg13

I have a 2012 macmini running Mavericks connected to a denon 2312ci connected to a samsung LED. Both before and after Mavericks update I have experienced a similar issue to you. If I try and select encoded digital audio everything defaults to internal speakers off of HDMI.

What is slightly different from your situation is that within HDMI I can slect any of the other options. Right now I have it on 8ch-24 bit integer and that is the way it has always been. THe sound out of the reciever seems prety good so I have left well enough alone.

My question is would it be better to "encoded digital audio" selected over 8ch-24 bit integer? Isnt the reciever doing the decoding either way from the 7.1 PCM it gets from the mac mini?

I am by no means an expert but would love an answer on this from someone who is.

Dec 29, 2013 4:00 PM in response to kvg13

Hi,

I have exactly this same issue, running Mavericks on a Mac Mini. There is something going on with the Audio Mini Setup Application. Whenever I try to select "encoded digital audio" on the HDMI output, the app switches the output to internal speakers. I even plugged a tos-link cable so that the internal audio headphone port becomes a "Digital Out." When I try to select "encoded digital audio" on the internal sound (now "digital out" with tos-link), the audio midi setup app changes the output to AirPlay. The computer really doesn't want to set the audio to encoded digital audio. That is a drag, because that it the only form in which my receiver gets the pure digital 5.1 surround signal from my mac mini (using EyeTV and Plex).

Any solutions?

thanks!

Jan 8, 2014 7:22 PM in response to PoliticsProf

The only workaround I've been able to use is VLC. Under "Audio Device" you select "HDMI Encoded Output" and voilá -- encoded 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS is working again. I think if you then check Audio Midi Setup during playback, it's set to "Encoded Digital Audio," which is kind of f'ed up. Still haven't found a way to get the Apple DVD Player app to work with encoded 5.1 again.

Based on some stupid experiences I've had recently with trying to watch iTunes purchases on a second screen via HDMI, my new working theory is Apple wants everyone to buy an AppleTV to watch things on their televisions. Screwing over the audio settings and blocking iTunes purchases over HDMI is their way of forcing that on us. Just a theory, but it's definitely the impression I'm getting.

Feb 13, 2014 1:01 PM in response to kvg13

macbook air 2011 with mac os x 10.9.1, thunderbolt to hdmi adapter,

not possible to select "Encoded Digital Audio" it switch to Built-In Output ,

have 8ch-24 bit integer setting and the receiver show "digital pcm 7.1" it is a arcam avr-400.

VLC do not work with "HDMI Encoded Output" in my macbook, still show "digital pcm 7.1"

Jul 7, 2014 3:57 PM in response to kvg13

I had a similar problem. Took me a while to figure out, but the problem was in the HDMI settings in the receiver, NOT the software.

My setup:

Macbook Air > Mini Display Port to HDMI converter into Onkyo Receiver > HDMI Out of Onkyo into Panasonic TV.

Symptoms:

I was getting stereo fine, but not 5.1 (options grayed out etc). You were on the right track; I unplugged the TV which opened up all the multi channel options for HDMI. Turns out the HDMI out settings in the receiver were set to pass Audio to the TV. So the Audio Device Settings on my Mac viewed the TV as the destination device. But as the TV only supports stereo, that's all I could select through Audio Device Settings and VLC etc.

Solution:

On the receiver I went to Setup > Hardware Settings > HDMI and switched the audio off for HDMI Out. Now the Mac sees the receiver as the final destination and I can select HDMI (Encoded Output) etc. from VLC. That sends proper Dolby Digital 5.1 etc. nicely.

Note:

I can select all the multi channel options for HDMI in Audio Devices Settings (as supported by my Onkyo Receiver), but I just left mine at 2ch-24 bit. Seems as long as you select Encoded Output in VLC it will send 5.1 perfectly and no issues with regular stereo playback for music.

Can't get Encoded Digital Audio to work with HDMI again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.