Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voiceover kit refuses to install with an error 1701

Updated recently to Mavericks 10.9 and Itunes 11.1.2. I bought a new iPod Shuffle (4th Gen) and the first sync, the voiceover kit failled. I tried restoring the iPod several times; I tried getting rid of the existing VoiceOver file in the Library. The new Voiceover kit still refuses to install with an error 1701.

It is hard to understand why itunes and mavericks are not comptatible with the ipod shuffle ...

iPod shuffle, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Itunes 11.1.2

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 6:02 AM

10 replies

Nov 8, 2013 4:59 AM in response to mathns

+1. Luckly at work we have a MacBook running good old Snow Leopard which wasn't upgrade to Mavericks. I can install VoiceOver and I activate it in the shuffle from there, but Mavericks just does not install it (unknown error 1701). I have to load the songs from Mavericks, then activate the VoiceOver in Snow Leopard when I'm at work.

Also, it might not be possible because of OS/firmware limitations, but what's the point of shipping iPhones and iPod touch with VoiceOver built in, but not the iPod shuffle?

Nov 21, 2013 6:53 AM in response to mathns

this is what i said to them

okay, so im pretty sure that apple is aware of this issue by now.

The voiceover kit isnt downloading withint itunes on mountain lion or on mavericks it returns a 1701 error like it carnt find the server to download it from.

SERIOUSLY sort it out,and fast, this is just slack.

I purposefully bought this new shuffle over my last purely for this feature and guess what, straight out of the box it doesnt work...

you guys are slipping

Voiceover kit refuses to install with an error 1701

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.