Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture incorrectly duplicating exif data - how can I stop this?

The situation...

a) I have 2 cameras (Canon 5D, and a Canon 5D MII)

b) I imported photos from 2 Compact Flash cards (1 from each camera) where the file names (e.g. _MG_9670.CR2) clashed. (i.e. both cards used the same file numbering range)

c) Aperture imported the images correctly, however the EXIF data on both images match identically apart from image resolution. Aperture believes these photos were taken at the exact same date/time and with the same camera which of course is incorrect.

d) If I export the original files from aperture and use the finder 'Get Info' option I can see that the RAW files contain correct EXIF data, so the issue must purely be an aperture bug.

Question - is this a known bug and is there any way to work around this?

Unfortunately I have spotted this on some wedding photos I shot for a client so I have had to switch to Lightroom for some confidence in not loosing important photos. Hopefully if someone can provide a workaround before I get stuck into my editing I can switch back to Aperture that I am more familiar with.

Thanks

Adrian

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 8:09 AM

Interesting problem. The duplicate filenames could be causing Aperture to get confused but I've never seen this myself. Do you have Do not import duplicates set in the Import pane? If it is not set and you set it does Aperture see the files on the second card as dups?

As a test, when you import from one of the cards (either one) rename the originals. Does the EXIF problem still happen? If not then you will need to rename one of the cameras files either on import or in the camera. I believe Canon allows you to set a filename no?

Also make sure to file a bug report with Aperture, Aperture->Provide Aperture Feedback, look for the bug report entry.

If renaming the files does not fix the problem post back.

regards

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2013 8:09 AM in response to adriangp

Interesting problem. The duplicate filenames could be causing Aperture to get confused but I've never seen this myself. Do you have Do not import duplicates set in the Import pane? If it is not set and you set it does Aperture see the files on the second card as dups?

As a test, when you import from one of the cards (either one) rename the originals. Does the EXIF problem still happen? If not then you will need to rename one of the cameras files either on import or in the camera. I believe Canon allows you to set a filename no?

Also make sure to file a bug report with Aperture, Aperture->Provide Aperture Feedback, look for the bug report entry.

If renaming the files does not fix the problem post back.

regards

Nov 6, 2013 11:03 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for your reply. I have created a fresh aperture library to test this import issue to answer your questions and the results are as follows....

1. Having already imported _MG_9670.CR2 from Card 1, inserting Card 2 shows _MG_9670.CR2 in the import menu regardless of whether "Do not import duplicates" is checked. So aperture correctly understands at this point that these are two unique images.

2. Renaming the _MG_9670.CR2 from Card 1 to its date/time and then importing _MG_9670.CR2 from Card 2 still results in both images with the same EXIF data as exhibited in my first post.

So unfortunately the bug remains. I have raised this as suggested via the 'Provide Aperture Feedback' link.

Thanks

Adrian

Aperture incorrectly duplicating exif data - how can I stop this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.