Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Retina 13" (late 2013) Fan 100% When Screensaver Running

Hi,

I have a new MBP Retina 13" (late 2013).

When the screensaver kicks in the fan eventually goes to 100% and the machine gets hot.

When I turn the screensaver off the temperature comes down quickly, and the fan speed drops equally quickly.

Has anyone seen this behaviour, and if so, how to fix it?

FYI, I have reset the SMC a few times with no benefit.

Regards

Darren.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 7:45 AM

21 replies

Nov 14, 2013 2:34 AM in response to Krassimir Mladenov

Hi,

I decided to return the MBP within the 14 day money back period, which was the day before the EFI update came out.

So, I was seeing the problem before the EFI update, rather than after as you are.

There was (is) something very wrong somewhere, my MBP got so hot I could smell a faint burning odour, and the case was hot to the touch all over (not just at the vents).

Regards

Darren.

Feb 28, 2014 2:20 PM in response to tenjinuk

I have the same observation. I replaced my 15" Mid 2009 MBP with the latest 13" MBP Retina late 2013 (2,6 GHz) a week ago. Unfortunately, I observe the same:

• All applications are shut down
  • The fan is quiet
  • I launch Activity Monitor and show the CPU History window
  • About 3 minutes after the screensaver started the fan starts working
  • After stopping the screensaver, the fan stops working about 20 seconds later
  • The CPU History window shows that the CPU load is high with spikes every 7-8 seconds during screen saver activity

I observed this behavior with any screensaver provided by mavericks that displays pictures. The pictures displayed are available on the internal SSD

I had the same screensaver settings on my old MBP with no negative impact. I don't understand that an operating system provided screen saver produces this high CPU load on the latest models. Are these screensavers not properly working with retina displays?

Markus

Mar 2, 2014 12:16 AM in response to tenjinuk

Hi,

Same here. And I also noticed, like tenjinuk, that the "Message" screen saver is the only "safe" one.

I opened a bug report about this. I was asked to provide a sysdiagnose and a "mymachine.spx" report. Waiting for some more news about this.

IMHO, this is some bad OpenGL or GPU integration somewhere. Will report here any news from Apple team about my bug report.

Eddy

Mar 2, 2014 2:44 PM in response to tenjinuk

What resolutions are you running and on which display?

I changed the resolution from "More Space" where I observed the fan issue to "Best (Retina)". In this resolution, the fan did not start working and the CPU also seems not to get hot.

The high display resolution was one of the buying criteria for the Retina MBP...

Mar 2, 2014 2:48 PM in response to mfehr

1440 x 900 (13")

This is the resolution between "best retina" and "more space". Will try it tomorrow (not enough time in front of me at the moment) in the best retina resolution. But even if it doesn't get hot in "best retina" I will have to go back to 1440x 900. As mfehr, I need to go over the "best retina" resolution as a minimum to work properly.

Apr 13, 2014 7:43 PM in response to tenjinuk

I have been having the same issue since upgrading my 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

27" iMac 16GB Ram to Mavericks OS 10.9.2. Prior to upgrading, the system was stable and never locked up. After the upgrade, and after the computer would go in to screen saver mode for a bit of time I would get the out of application memory warning and would have to force quit open applications or reboot. After watching the Activity Monitor I noticed the screensaver was using all the memory and taxing the CPU. I now have the monitor set to turn off/sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity with no screen saver. This seems to have fixed the problem. Very strange that after using Macs for over 20 years that the screen saver kills the system. ugggg.

MBP Retina 13" (late 2013) Fan 100% When Screensaver Running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.