Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i make new SSD compatible with my macbookpro

hello all,

My HD cable recently failed meaning that i can not boot my macbookpro up or anyuthing, I bought a new cable but it wont come for two weeks! At the same time that my cable stopped working i was upgradeing my macbookpro by putting a SSD in the oprical drive. Somehow i must have messed up the HD cable when installing the SSD 😟 So now i want to know how i can boot my computer to the SSD in the optical drive. Here is the SSD that i bought http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=77394 89&tab=7&SRCCODE=WEBLET101SATSFY&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET101SATSFY-_-S atisfy&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEBLET101SATSFY

I have tried to open up Disk utility but i dont realy know how i can use that to make the SSD compatible. Do I make a partition or something? and if so, how do i then boot to the new SSD. Thanks for all the help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 7:51 AM

Not sure how you got to the Mac OS X Utilities page. Is it like this?

User uploaded file

If it is you have to use Disk Utility for partition and format the SSD Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a partition table of GUID then reinstall OS X.

4 replies

Nov 3, 2013 10:00 AM in response to LowLuster

yeah thats right, I got there by holding the option key after turning on the macbookpro. Then I used internet recovery to get to the screen that you are showing in the picture?

So that is all i would have to do? format the SSD to Mac Os Extened (journaled) and then do i install mac OS X on it through that same utilities screen?

How do i make new SSD compatible with my macbookpro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.