Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes and contacts not updating on Macbook Pro (10.9) from iPhone

Hello everyone,

It used to work when under Lion but now it's not working. My iPhone's contacts and Notes don't sync with my Macbook Pro (under Mavericks). I check in the settings of the phone and these had a default account different than iCloud so I set them to iCloud and then click manually in the iCloud settings on "Back up now" hoping it would fix the problem and have the stuff updated on my Mac but nothing. Usually it's pretty instantaneous, especially for the calendars.

Any tips as to why it's not working ? They are both constantly connected to internet and through the same networks.

Thanks !

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 8:50 AM

Backing up your device does not effect syncing with iCloud. If you created notes in a non-iCloud account on your phone, for example, you would have to open each note and copy and paste the text into new notes created in the iCloud account in order to get them into iCloud. If you have contacts created in a non-iCloud account, you can either recreate the contact in the iCloud account, or if you have quite a few I can give you a process to copy them to iCloud without having to re-enter them if you're interested.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2013 8:50 AM in response to smashr

Backing up your device does not effect syncing with iCloud. If you created notes in a non-iCloud account on your phone, for example, you would have to open each note and copy and paste the text into new notes created in the iCloud account in order to get them into iCloud. If you have contacts created in a non-iCloud account, you can either recreate the contact in the iCloud account, or if you have quite a few I can give you a process to copy them to iCloud without having to re-enter them if you're interested.

Nov 3, 2013 9:13 AM in response to smashr

After copying the text from each note into new notes created in the iCloud account you will have duplicate notes on your device. When you're done, open the notes in the non-iCloud account and delete them to remove the duplicates.

For contacts, what account(s) are the contacts in now that you need to move to iCloud (On My iPhone, Gmail, Yahoo, an exchange account, etc)?

Nov 3, 2013 9:42 AM in response to randers4

I found the solution for the notes, I went in Notes and clicked acccounts and then could see in which account were each notes, I manually copied/deleted each one of them, I dunno if there was a more straightforward method though (should be one).

For the contacts, I don't see a simple visualization option to see which contacts are where like for Notes (= just a Accounts button in the top left corner). therefore I don't really know but I guess scattered accross Hotmail (Outlook.com) accounts and google Gmail accounts. They should add a simple visualization method like for notes, or if you know a solution I'm all hears.

Thanks for your time and help.

EDIT : problem not solved, hit the button by mistake...

Nov 3, 2013 10:09 AM in response to smashr

You can tell what account they are in by opening Contacts, tapping Groups, then selecting your non-iCloud groups one at a time to see the contacts that belong to each non-iCloud account.

Let's assume that they are scattered across multiple iCloud accounts as you stated. To get them all in iCloud, do the following:

1. Go to Settings>iCloud, turn Contacts to Off, choose Delete from My iPhone when prompted (they will still be in iCloud).
  2. Download the app My Contacts Backup to your phone. (You'll need to get the "Pro" version if you have more than 500 contacts that you need to copy to iCloud.) Use this to backup the remaining contacts on your phone (from the other accounts) as a vCard attachment to an email that you send to yourself. Confirm that you have received the email.
  3. Go to Settings>iCloud and turn Contacts back to On.
  4. Go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars>Default Account (in the Contacts section), set this to iCloud.
  5. Go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars...tap each of the other accounts that you are syncing contacts with (such as Gmail) and turn off contacts syncing. This will prevent having duplicates when you re-import them from the backup your made earlier.
  6. Open the My Contacts Backup email and tap the attachment to import the contacts from the other accounts back to your phone. They should be in iCloud, and as a result, will sync to your other devices.

Notes and contacts not updating on Macbook Pro (10.9) from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.