Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes cannot locate music in my library

I recently loaded itunes onto a new computer that has Windows 8. I copied my entire itunes folder over from my old computer. When I open itunes I can see all my music but when I click on a track I get a message "Song couldnot be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?". When I say yes to this question the search goes to the correct folder but when I click on library it doesn't do anything. The only music I can play is music I purchased through itunes which is on "The Cloud".

Also when I connect my ipod it doesn't sync up, it just charges the battery.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

iPod classic, Windows 8

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 8:53 AM

76 replies

Jun 17, 2017 5:48 PM in response to turingtest2

I'm having a similar issue but on a mac. When I got to iTunes only my recently purchased music shows up, not any of the music I've uploaded from CDs through the years. When I go into the folders all the music is in the iTunes Music folder. Here is an example path: /Users/davidrosen/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/AC_DC/The Razor's Edge. I am not seeing file names with exclamation points, I don't see them at all. Any suggestion on how to get iTunes to see the music?

Thanks

Nov 5, 2013 7:08 AM in response to foley1857

Hello foley1857,

Congratulations on your new computer! I would be concerned too if I was not able to locate my music in iTunes. I recommend reviewing the following articles to locate you music files on your computer:

iTunes: Finding lost media and downloads

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1408

Where are my iTunes files located?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1391

If you are not able to locate the music on your new computer and still have access to your previous system, you can follow the steps in this article:

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4527

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Nov 7, 2013 4:00 PM in response to sheila_m.

Hello Sheila M.

Yes, I had tried all of that already but with no luck. I saw all the info on your suggested links on the itunes.com support page before I posted this discussion topic. I've actually re-downloaded the itunes program twice and recopied the itunes folder onto the computer twice. nothing seems to be working.

Having scrolled though this Support Communities thing, It looks like there are a lot of people are experiencing the same issue. Is itunes doing anything to rectify the problem? This is obviously an itunes issue and not something I did. I've collected alot of music on itunes over the years and I think its pretty annoying that I cannot access it.

I don't understand why itunes is able to navigate to the proper folder, bring up all my music on the screen but cannot play any of it? How can the program say ts unable to locate it, but yet it shows it on the screen? I didn't do anything to the itunes folder when I saved it off my old computer and uploaded it to this one.

Thanks

Nov 7, 2013 5:24 PM in response to foley1857

If you still have the library on the old computer see this migrate iTunes library post.

Otherwise I can probably make suggestions for how to resolve the issue. I expect iTunes is "assuming" your media is in a slightly different place from where it really is. Select a "missing" track, find out where it really is, and find out where iTunes "thinks" it is from the Get Info > Summary tab. The two paths are usually enough to see what needs to be done.

tt2

Feb 8, 2014 1:04 PM in response to foley1857

After reading a few fixes and knowing how the best laid plans of mice and men and me can go so wrong, I just searched for a couple of tracks. When I found one, I fixed it and it asked me if I wanted to use that location to look for other missing files. I did a couple more tracks, answering yes each time to that box.

iTunes started searching for missing files and eventually found 1470 of 1626 files and proceeded to add them back in.

It feels too easy.

Feb 23, 2014 10:00 AM in response to turingtest2

hi turingtest2

I have come across this issue. All my music was saved on an external drive which got bust (Yes stupid of me I know to keep it there!). I have managed to import all my existing music from my ipod back to pc, however no matter where I stick my music and change on preferences to that folder to direct itunes, its having none of it - can't locate a thing and have to individually.

Saw that you had commented on the hhtp thing and on looking and Get Info for each music file it says: file://localhost/C:/Users/Rachel/iTunes/iTunes Music/ etc etc.

All my files are sitting in this location.

Is this something you can help with as I have no idea?!

Many thanks,

Rachel

Feb 23, 2014 12:28 PM in response to Hot_Hornet

Hi there.

I take it you've got the media somewhere, and an iTunes library full of exclamation marks? Pick a single broken song, press CTRL+I to Get Info, say no when asked to locate it, then look at the summary tab. Please post back the full path that starts file://localhost for this particular file. Then find the actual file this entry should be connected to and post back the path to this as well. With the two paths I should have enough information to recommend the best course of action...

tt2

Feb 23, 2014 1:18 PM in response to Hot_Hornet

Actually, and maybe I was just lucky, but as I posted above, it gave me a dialogue box when I chose one song and asked me if wanted to look for other missing songs there in same area. I clicked "yes" and it found over 1400 files. I'm assuming this worked since all the missing songs were in the same broken folder.

It's been fine ever since.

Feb 24, 2014 10:25 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for replying so quick turingtest2.

Yes indeed I have an iTunes full of exclamation marks! I have all the music stored on my desktop and also have re-copied into my iTunes on the C drive. However, I have so much I actually want to stick it all back on an external hard drive when I am done.

When doing Get Info on a track I get for example : file://localhost/C:/Users/Rachel/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/_Amy Winehouse/_Back to Black/Wake Up Alone.mp3

Where this is stored is : C:/Users/Rachel Milne/iTunes/iTunes Music/Amy Winehouse/Back To Black/Wake Up Alone.mp3. PLEASE NOTE THAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY BACK SLASHES AND NOT FORWARD ONES. I just can't find the backslash on my keyboard!!

Feb 24, 2014 10:28 AM in response to Hot_Hornet

sorry maybe I should have said that they are foward slashes on the localhost link, but backslashes on the actual location link.

Also I have rescued all this music from a broken hard drive and used Sharepod to do this - I created a folder on my desktop and it got copied into that - I tried then to use this folder as my music source on iTunes by changing the source folder on preferences within iTunes. That didn't work and I got all the exclamation marks. I then copied it all back onto my iTunes folder on my c drive, but still getting the above issue. I guess it is a typical case of iTunes getting confused about where the source is?

itunes cannot locate music in my library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.