Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Energy saver display sleep function not working after upgrade to Mavericks. Any idea why?

I upgraded to Mavericks a few days ago and since then, the screen will not blank out after the set time on the Display Sleep bar. This happens whether on battery or power. I've run Verify/Repair Disk and Permissions, and still not go. Any suggestions on what else I might do or check to get this going again? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 8:35 AM

21 replies

Nov 5, 2013 9:04 AM in response to rosey0

Hello Rosey,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with your MacBook Pro not going to sleep when expected. I recommend reviewing the article below to isolate what may be preventing sleep mode:

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1776

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Feb 8, 2014 11:37 PM in response to sheila_m.

I have the identical problem as Rosey. The article addresses Mac OS X in general, and therefore precedes Mavericks, I think. Our problem is that the "put display to sleep after ___ minutes" worked perfectly before the upgrade to Mavericks, but not after. There were no other changes made; therefore, this should give an Apple expert a clue as to what internal change caused this problem. How do we find this person and how can we encourage him/her to investigate that change?

Feb 10, 2014 11:27 AM in response to rosey0

One thing that makes this worse is that the problem seems to be intermittent. As any auto mechanic or engineer will tell you, that's the worst kind of problem. At one time during my testing, when I had the time set for one minute, after one minute the display went dim, and a minute later it went off.

This won't make you feel any better, but in case you don't know about OS X keyboard shortcuts at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343?viewlocale=en_US go take a look. It will blow your mind! At the end of the "sleep and shut down shortcuts" section, you'll find that Shift–Control–Media Eject will put all displays to sleep.

Feb 10, 2014 4:11 PM in response to rosey0

I just got a positive response about this from the forum moderator at

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/308562-mavericks-doesnt-l et-display-fall-asleep.html#post1566981

He said "Running Mavericks here and it works fine to put my display to sleep. What settings are you using to put the display to sleep? Also, tell us which Mac you have, year and model."

If all of us respond, maybe we can zero in on something we're doing wrong.

Message was edited by: BudVitoff NOTE: Check the link I give you for that forum. Something is adding a space in the word "let".

Feb 10, 2014 6:47 PM in response to rosey0

I almost hate to say this, but I just came back from the Windows side of my Mac via shutdown, and the energy saver is working perfectly according to its settings. (As a bonus, the correct images came back to my desktop icons, whereas before I was just getting generic images.)

I'm not naïve enough to think this will last forever, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts. I hope you all have the same luck.

🙂

Feb 24, 2014 3:22 PM in response to rosey0

I just worked with Apple support on this and I've tracked it down to Chrome. There is a bug in Chrome that disables sleep if there is an unplayed video on a page. Reading through the issue on the Chromium site it looks like a paused video is OK, but unplayed causes problems. I have lots of tabs open (usually) and if one of them happens to have an unplayed video on it (as many sites do), voila - no sleep.

For me I either need to track down the offending tabs, or just quit Chrome and sleep works fine.

Mar 5, 2014 11:57 AM in response to rosey0

Hi rosey0

this has worked on my iMac, don't know if it will help all but might give you a clue where to look

disply sleep/computer sleep worked fine for me after upgrade to Mavericks and update to 10.9.1 but after 10.9.2 stopped working, I did a complete reinstall of Mavericks and still no joy

I have always had the clock showing on screensaver, in desperation I turned off the clock with very little hope and to my amazement display sleep and computer sleep have been working fine for 2 days now

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, but is there anything moving on your screen at all?

Mar 21, 2014 4:30 PM in response to rosey0

I too installed Mavericks. I am unable to click on the lock in Energy Saver under System Preferences to change the Computer Sleep or Display Sleep option.

This worked fine before installing Mavericks. I used it to clone the older OS version so I am not sure why it's not working.

Sometimes my Imac can't access the wifi then if I manually select it then it's ok.

https://ssl.apple.com/feedback/

Above is the link to send feedback; choose your product and let apple know the problem you are having. If we all do this about energy saver, sleep mode etc., maybe they will fix sooner.

Maybe it's just a bump in the apple road with the new OS update and they can fix it soon !

Will save us the time of deleting files etc., on our own only to run into more problems.

Mar 21, 2014 5:27 PM in response to AnneMack

Hi AnneMack,

Sounds like you have a whole deal of problems with Mavericks, I had a few glitches with Mavericks after the first install, most of them sorted out by doing a clean reinstall of Mavericks as recommended by Apple support when I called them

On my iMac mid 2011 I don't have the option of locking any energy saver options in Mavericks, it doesn't look like it should be an option

On my original post the question was the iMac not going to display sleep and computer sleep at the times I had set

I have discovered on my machine that since 10.9.2 if you have screensaver working then display sleep et cetera will not work accurately, sometimes works sometimes doesn't, if you turn screensaver to "never" then display sleep et cetera seems to always work

I think it is all a bit fragile, and will get sorted in time, but might be worth thinking about a clean reinstall of Mavericks for you

Good luck

Mar 21, 2014 11:39 PM in response to nickjhowe

I have been running Mavericks on my iMac since it came out and sleep mode has been working fine until just recently. I searched and found this thread and read NickJHowe's post about Chrome being the problem. I have had Chrome open all the time on my iMac which I leave running all the time. So I set sleep to activate in 1 minute and closed Chrome... Voila! Display sleep mode kicked in and my display went black. So sure enough, Chrome is the problem here. I will stop using it for now until this bug is fixed.

FYI the version of Chrome I've been using is Version 33.0.1750.152

Incidently Chrome has been failing to play video for me most of the time. I think it may be a problem with HTML5 video but not really investigated it. I often have to switch browsers to see a video someone posts on a web site.

Mar 22, 2014 2:39 AM in response to TeaMan

I have chrome installed but rarely use it as I have rubbish eyes and use reader in Safari a lot, I was talking to the guys at my local Apple shop about this problem yesterday and none of them have had it either using chrome or using screensaver etc

The general conclusion was that it's a tiny bit of code not right and it's going to affect different systems in different ways and hopefully will get fixed by accident or design in the next update

For me anyway not using screensaver, setting display sleep to 10 minutes and computer sleep to 30 minutes is an acceptable compromise, and I will see what happens after the next update, but just to be sure when I'm leaving the computer for a long period or last thing at night I'm clicking on sleep!

Energy saver display sleep function not working after upgrade to Mavericks. Any idea why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.