Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS7 not marking messages as read on the server causing the mail app to continuously show unread messages on AIM/AOL accounts.

I'm having a strange issue with my aim.com email address where if I mark the messages as read on my phone, they are not marked as read on the server and the mail app will continuously bring them back up as unread messages. Minor annoyance but I like to keep my notifications clear on my email address to make sure I am getting the most recent messages.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 9:52 AM

I have been having the same problem since last Thursday. Spent nearly 2 hours on Tech Support with a 2nd level technician. I was at home with 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and a couple computers available to be used while we investigated the issue. It is a very strange behavior. Here is a summary of the results of our efforts.

1 - If you mark AOL mail as read on an Mac using Mavericks or Snow Leopard, it will be marked as read on iOS 7 on your iPhone or iPad within seconds.

2 - If you open an AOL e-mail on your iPhone - by touching/loading it - it will stay marked as read on your iPhone, iPad and on your computer.

3 - But, if you use the EDIT function - and try to mark an email as read (or mark all as read using the command at the bottom) the iPhone will initially mark the emails as read but they will NOT be marked as read on the AOL server. Your computer and any other iOS 7 devices will not change the e-mail to read. At some point, typically within 5 minutes, the message will reappear on the iPhone as unread.

It seems to be tied to the EDIT function in iOS 7 mail as Read, Flag, Move, and Delete all fail to work in the same fashion. It is also a one way error - iPhone iOS 7 to the AOL IMAP server - but only if you take action without viewing/loading the e-mail.

Note that we tried multiple mail account deletes, various settings deletes, and even a total iPhone reset. Nothing fixed this error.

AOL mail on my iPad, using iOS 6, works as it should. AOL mail on my wife's iPad, using iOS 7, has the exact same problem as my iPhone 5s.

The 2nd level technician has concluded it is an iOS 7 bug and forwarded the information to the engineering team.

If others are having this issue too - please add it to this thread. We need to make sure Apple understands it is a wide spread issue that needs attention.

Tim

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2013 9:52 AM in response to deftoneslmc

I have been having the same problem since last Thursday. Spent nearly 2 hours on Tech Support with a 2nd level technician. I was at home with 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and a couple computers available to be used while we investigated the issue. It is a very strange behavior. Here is a summary of the results of our efforts.

1 - If you mark AOL mail as read on an Mac using Mavericks or Snow Leopard, it will be marked as read on iOS 7 on your iPhone or iPad within seconds.

2 - If you open an AOL e-mail on your iPhone - by touching/loading it - it will stay marked as read on your iPhone, iPad and on your computer.

3 - But, if you use the EDIT function - and try to mark an email as read (or mark all as read using the command at the bottom) the iPhone will initially mark the emails as read but they will NOT be marked as read on the AOL server. Your computer and any other iOS 7 devices will not change the e-mail to read. At some point, typically within 5 minutes, the message will reappear on the iPhone as unread.

It seems to be tied to the EDIT function in iOS 7 mail as Read, Flag, Move, and Delete all fail to work in the same fashion. It is also a one way error - iPhone iOS 7 to the AOL IMAP server - but only if you take action without viewing/loading the e-mail.

Note that we tried multiple mail account deletes, various settings deletes, and even a total iPhone reset. Nothing fixed this error.

AOL mail on my iPad, using iOS 6, works as it should. AOL mail on my wife's iPad, using iOS 7, has the exact same problem as my iPhone 5s.

The 2nd level technician has concluded it is an iOS 7 bug and forwarded the information to the engineering team.

If others are having this issue too - please add it to this thread. We need to make sure Apple understands it is a wide spread issue that needs attention.

Tim

Nov 18, 2013 4:29 PM in response to deftoneslmc

Could it be Mavericks, instead of IOS 7?

It's happening to gmail IMAP as well. We have an iMac (Mavericks) at home, and my wife has an iPhone (IOS7) and iPad. Since upgrading to either IOS 7 or Mavericks, the iMac is showing emails as being unread even when she has read them from the iPhone.

The emails on the gmail server (by checking gmail.com website) are being marked as read after reading on her iPhone, but still remain unread on the iMac.

Dec 30, 2013 11:29 AM in response to deftoneslmc

I have this same issue within my Mac Mail on my new Mackbook Pro. My POP Gmail account works fine, but my business accont does not. Items marked as read become unmarked when mail is checked. Every time. Deleted messages are re-downloading. Same with Junk mail. I have access to our mail server and have cleared out all the messages to ZERO and started over, and it does the same thing repeatedly. I'm getting close to scrapping Mac Mail soon

Jan 6, 2014 3:50 AM in response to deftoneslmc

I have a new Macbook pro and an old Mac Pro 3,1. Both are running Maverics. The Laptop has the constant email set at unread problem, the mac Pro bases station does not - on the same emails.... As far as I can see, both have the same settings.

Irritating !

This is only happening on an Exchange account - other accounts on both machines work as expected.

Message was edited by: Simonron

FYI - both machines are running Mail version 7.1 1827

Jan 25, 2014 9:56 AM in response to deftoneslmc

I am also having the same issues. Iphone 4S, Running IOS 7. If I hit edit>Mark All>Mark as Read, it doesn't reflect that on the server, but if I open each email individually on my phone, it does mark them as read.. But only if I look at them when they are showing as unread on my phone.

How about a fix apple?

Only on Exchange.. All other email accounts working fine.

iOS7 not marking messages as read on the server causing the mail app to continuously show unread messages on AIM/AOL accounts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.