Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Undo change in Safari behavior with pdfs

There has been a recent change in the behavior of Safari with pdf files.

Since I often download large pdf's, I prefer not to see them in Safari, which has been pretty clunky for this purpose. In addition, these files are often publications for research so I want the files on disk anyway.

So for several years I have set Safari to automatically download any pdf file I click on. I'm pretty sure I did this with this command in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES

As of a few weeks ago, Safari quit autodownloading the pdf files and started displaying ASCI gibberish instead. This was probably after an upgrade. Undoing the setting with

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool NO

returns the basic behavior that the file comes up in Safari unless I use Control-click to do something else. But that does not always work, in particular on some secure websites. So now it takes several extra steps (print to pdf) to get back to what I want -- a certain file on my disk.

Does anybody know how to get the current version of Safari (7.0) on Mac OS 10.9 to autodownload pdfs? (The problem existed with OS 10.8 but I upgraded in the hope of a solution, which did not occur.)

Paul

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 9:00 AM

2 replies

Nov 3, 2013 9:12 AM in response to rpdrake

Adding to my post, there is a long discussion relating to this issue entitled:

Re: Cannot View or automatically download PDFs in Safari 7.0

The bottom line seems to be that there is a bug (or new feature) in Safari 7.0 such that one is unable to set the browser to automatically download pdf files on which one simply clicks.

Using the terminal commands above one can now turn on and off Safari's ability to display pdfs, which is a pretty worthless option.

I don't have any of the Adobe or other plugins to confuse the issue. The behavior is stable and reproducible.

Undo change in Safari behavior with pdfs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.