Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I uninstall Quicktime X?

I upgraded some things and Quicktime movies with a "MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode" codec stopped playing (black screen)!

I need help, I was ending a project and now it just plays black!

The thing is I am using the movies in a really heavy After Effects project and now they show up black in the project as well.

This isn't about playing the movies, this is about seeing the .mov quictime movies with a "MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode" codec with Quicktime again just like I did yesterday before this mess.

I have quicktime X. How do I uninstall it? I need to install my old version back!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 9:57 AM

18 replies

Nov 3, 2013 10:32 AM in response to juancruzcastells

I upgraded some things and Quicktime movies with a "MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode" codec stopped playing (black screen)!

I need help, I was ending a project and now it just plays black!

The thing is I am using the movies in a really heavy After Effects project and now they show up black in the project as well.

This isn't about playing the movies, this is about seeing the .mov quictime movies with a "MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode" codec with Quicktime again just like I did yesterday before this mess.

I have quicktime X. How do I uninstall it? I need to install my old version back!

Are you saying that you upgraded the QT X player by installing a QT X version from one OS to a system with a different OS? If so, then that may be the source of your problem. Eache version of QT X is programmed to operate in a partichular OS environment—v10.0 with Snow Leopard, v10.1 with Lion, v10.2 with Mountain Lion, and QT X v10.3 under Mavericks. As to restoring your system, you would have to source the original software by re-installing the system or by extracting the components from an installer package and manuall re-applying to/replacing them in your current OS.

User uploaded file

Nov 3, 2013 11:44 AM in response to juancruzcastells

No, the quicktime I had came with my OS X, I hit some upgrades and those quicktime movies now just show a black screen. I figured I need to uninstall it and reinstall it to get back what I had before.

Just ran the system update software for my Mac OS X v10.6.8 system and it shows there has been no QT X v10.0 update release. As to uninstalling QT X, that is impossible as it is an integrated part of the operating system. GUIs like the QT X v10.0 player can be individually deleted but not the QT structure that is itself embedded within the operating system. As a non-After Effects user, I don't know if this application does or does not allow access to your Mac's codec component configuration package. If it does, then I would normally expect that to remain unchanged uless you removed the associated codec or possibly installed a security update that now prevents After Effects from accessing the proper component. In the later case it may be necessary to wait until either Adobe or Apple deigns to fix the current issue.

User uploaded file

Nov 3, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Jon Walker

But the movies dont play on quicktime either. They dont play on fcp, or on aftereffects.

The problem is with quicktime and the codecs. Quicktime plays other H.264 codec Quicktime movies, but not the "MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode" codec quicktime movies. I cant believe this happened, two weeks work, how can they do this? Why would upgrading something take away other capabilities?

I feel sick and I am going to get fired. Thanx anyway.

Nov 3, 2013 12:36 PM in response to juancruzcastells

But the movies dont play on quicktime either. They dont play on fcp, or on aftereffects.

The problem is with quicktime and the codecs. Quicktime plays other H.264 codec Quicktime movies, but not the "MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode" codec quicktime movies. I cant believe this happened, two weeks work, how can they do this? Why would upgrading something take away other capabilities?

You seem to fail to understand is that MPEG-2 media is not natively supported by any Mac OS X system prior to Lion and that any system prior to Lion must have a non-native MPEG-2 codec component (either the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component purchased from Apple or an Apple video editor installed MPEG-2 import codec) to view/playe MPEG-2 content. Either your codec is missing, is not accessible, is conflicted, or your system software is corrupted. The Playback component supports long GOP playback but does not support frame accurate editing while the MPEG-2 Import codec only supports all I-frame playback and frame accurate QT editing. If you cannot provide more information about the type of MPEG-2 elementary stream you are using or provide a sample file for analysis, then I am afraid I cannot help you. The only other thing I might suggest at this point would be to reformat and create an external startup drive from your backup disc, boot that system drive, and then try viewing/playing the MPEG-2/PCM MOV files. If the new system can play the files, then it is your main boot system that has a problem and you can then decide on your best option to fix it. And if you don't understand what I am trying to tell you, see if you can locate a co-worker with experience in this area.

User uploaded file

Nov 3, 2013 1:25 PM in response to Jon Walker

"You seem to fail to understand is that MPEG-2 media is not natively supported by any Mac OS X system prior to Lion and that any system prior to Lion must have a non-native MPEG-2 codec component (either the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component purchased from Apple or an Apple video editor installed MPEG-2 import codec) to view/playe MPEG-2 content."

It worked before and I still had the same operating system "prior to Lion" or Snow Leopard. So how come it worked before? What happened that changed it?

I work alone and I am going to loose this client... and that's fine.

If the "codec is missing, is not accessible, is conflicted, or your system software is corrupted."

Should I reinstall everything?

Nov 3, 2013 2:29 PM in response to juancruzcastells

It worked before and I still had the same operating system "prior to Lion" or Snow Leopard. So how come it worked before? What happened that changed it?

Whether you used it or not, many new platforms and operating systems came with iLife pre-nstalled. If it was pre-installed, then the codec was also installed. As to what happened to change that, I thought that was why you came here. However, it seems that at this point you are too frustrated to go through the process of logically determining what is now wrong.

Should I reinstall everything?

Reinstalling the system may or may not fix the problem. In some cases the system may attempt to prevent you from reinstalling older software over newer versions of the same software. That is why I recommended creating a separate boot drive and testing your files. If the current source/project files work correctly, then you know the problem is in your current system and you can then seek to examing the differences between the two systems to determine the specific issue. For instance, if you compare the codec components on working and non-working systems, then it might be east to simply copy a missing component from the working to the non-working system if that is all that is wrong. Alternately, if you are a TimeMachine user, you could try reverting to a previous working version of your system. Since I have no idea if you purchased a platform with Snow Leopard already installed or upgraded a Leopard system to Snow Leopard, I have no idea what software may be installed on your system. In a similar manner, I have no idea if you ever purchased an MPEG-2 playback component from Apple. Nor have you indicated how you came by the MPEG-2/PCM source files which, for all I know were created by someone else using long GOP MPEG-2 elementary video streams or if they may have used MPEG Streamclip or some other app to simply "demux" a standard muxed MPEG-2/AC3 data file to an MOV file with MPEG-2 video and PCM audio. There are just too many possibilities here to start throwing out guesses as to how the problem was created or how to fix it. In fact, you have not even confirmed that the files that do not play now are the same ones you were playing previously. As previously indicated, if I had a sample non-playing file I could at least confirm the problem on a similar system or state for a fact whether or not the files should continue to play as of the last software update you say initiated the problems.

User uploaded file

Nov 3, 2013 2:56 PM in response to Jon Walker

Yes the files that are not playing now are the same that were playing before, if not, nothing would have changed. The files open with VLC but not with Quicktime. Snow Leopard came with my computer. I never purchased an MPEG-2 playback component from Apple and read somewhere just now that this should be built into Quicktime X so that I dont need to buy this. I created the files, they simply stopped working last night.

Nov 3, 2013 3:12 PM in response to Jon Walker

Yes the files that are not playing now are the same that were playing before, if not, nothing would have changed. The files open with VLC but not with Quicktime. Snow Leopard came with my computer. I never purchased an MPEG-2 playback component from Apple and read somewhere just now that this should be built into Quicktime X so that I dont need to buy this. I created the files, they simply stopped working last night.

It sounds like you're looking for more complicated explanations that have nothing to do with this.

Thank you for your time anyway.

Nov 3, 2013 3:46 PM in response to juancruzcastells

Yes the files that are not playing now are the same that were playing before, if not, nothing would have changed.

Okay. so files that were actually playing in your apps have suddenly stopped playing in the same apps.

The files open with VLC but not with Quicktime. Snow Leopard came with my computer.

I believe VLC uses the FFmpeg codec package. It definitely does not use you system's codec component configuration. This implies that MPEG-2 content in your files is long GOP and is not compatible nor editible at the frame level in any Apple QT-based Snow Leopard app.

Snow Leopard came with my computer. I never purchased an MPEG-2 playback component from Apple and read somewhere just now that this should be built into Quicktime X so that I dont need to buy this.

Please review THIS APPLE ARTICLE detailing which video and audio file types and compression formats are natively supported by Mac OS X v10.6 and later. The QT MPEG-2 Playback Component is required for classic QT 7 apps for the playback of muxed and elementary stream MPEG-2 content. It does not support any audio compression formats. Since Snow Leopard does not natively support MPEG-2 content and your MPEG-2 content plays in VLC, it would appear that one or more of your other installed video editing apps must have been providing MPEG-2 codec component support. Suggest you look there for your problem. Once again sugguest you re-read your reference source regarding QT X MPEG-2 support. IT WAS ONLY ADDED TO THE QT X PLAYER V10.1 IN MAC OS X V10.7 AND DOES NOT SUPPORT THE QT 7/QT 7 PRO PLAYERS AND IS NOT INCLUDED AS PART OF YOUR SNOW LEOPARD SYSTEM INSTALLATION. (See Media formats supported list previously referenced above.)

I created the files, they simply stopped working last night.

Any significant reason you are unable or unwilling to disclose how the files were created which might be relavent to this topic?

User uploaded file

Nov 3, 2013 4:40 PM in response to juancruzcastells

juan, QTX doesn't uninstall, since it's one of the core apps. One or more of the updates you took, updated QuickTime - did you take iTunes? That carries a QT-heavy component set and if it determined that your QuickTime was too old, it would have updated that underneath the iTunes install.

Since the QT is likely new, it broke the links to the codecs you had installed. Your best bet now is to just take the last QuickTime 7 download and install fresh codec packs.

Here is the list of downloads.

Start with QT 7.6.6. - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

Get Perian, and install it. - http://perian.org

then VLC, - http://videolan.org

DivX - http://divx.com - and the

Flip4Mac package from Telestream - http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac/

A52/AC3 downloader: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21875/a52codec - In this installer package there is an audio A52Codec.component. DO NOT USE IT! Throw it out and use the one that is linked below.

This is what I've put into my system and so far I've gotten every file to run fine, even my oldest videos.

These are codecs you should see.

In System/Library/QuickTime

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component* (*optional if you've bought it)

DivX Decoder.component

Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component

Flip4Mac WMV Export.component

Flip4Mac WMV Import.component

In your Home/Library/QuickTime/

AC3MovieImport.component (you may or may not want this component, in some instances it causes conflicts. In my system, it doesn't. Who knows why? I don't.)

Perian.component

For AC3 sound that is in most .mkv files, you need the A52Codec.component, this is the one you want, here:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34821905/A52Codec.component.zip - unzip the file and put the component into the System/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components

Go back to your Perian settings and in the Audio Output button, set it to 'Multi Channel Sound' - Ignore the message Perian puts up and select it.

By doing a 'Get Info' on your files and where it says 'Open With' - default them to the QuickTime 7 program. Perian no longer will work with QuickTime Player so you must have QT 7.6.6 and set it so it is the default for all the filetypes you use.

It works perfectly with QT7. So far I've gotten ALL my old videos to play.

.avi, .mov (with the AC3 sound), .wmv, .flv, .mp4 and .m4v. all run fine as do all the older formats.

Good luck!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.