Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro is barely usable after upgrading to Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks

I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro that is barely working after upgrading the software to Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks.

For instance, when I restart my computer (after running disk utility and repairing the disk) I can't even use finder without waiting 10 seconds at a time for a preview image to load or to simply scroll through files. Using on window in Safari and having Finder open at the same time shoots my inactive memory to 700-800 mb and significantly slows down the performance before I clear it out using "Memory Clean." It gives me temporary relief by cleaning out the "Inactive Memory," but within a few minutes my computer gets bogged down again. It appears to slow down whenever the inactive memory is full. Just filling out the form to post this comment gave me the spinwheel. I haven't had issues like this until upgrading my software. I'm thinking about taking it in to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB or so, but I would still like to find out what the issue is here.

Any help is greatly appreciated since I am no longer covered by apple care.

Thank you,

Emma

Specs:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB

Software OS X 10.9 (13A603)

Macintosh HD 200 GB SATA Disk: 97.98 GB free out of 199.19 GB

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Late 2008 Model

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 12:06 PM

8 replies

Nov 3, 2013 12:33 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Regrettably this is a pretty widespread issue, not just your computer - other forums are full of discussions about the go-slows, application issues and fails, hot running etc etc after loading Mavericks. It's all pretty appalling. My store erased and re-installed it for me and it still isn't working properly. May have to ask them to take me bakc to Mountain Lion...

Nov 3, 2013 4:06 PM in response to EmeraldV

Thank you for your responses. I am a little dissapointed that the "minimum requirements" aren't really enough, but I upgraded my ram to 4 gb an hour ago and it seemed to speed things up.@billpilgrim, my computer was also running hot. If I didn't go ahead and pay for the RAM upgrade, I would've preferred getting rid of the new operating system.

Thanks,

Emma

Nov 8, 2013 6:42 PM in response to EmeraldV

I had the same problem on my Late 2011 MBP 4GB of RAM. I figured it was a RAM problem because Activity monitor show the whole 4GB was being used. Today I installed 16 GB of Ram and it runs like new, but just in idle mode ie nothing running but the Finder and miscelaneous background apps it uses over 4GB of RAM. Right now with Finder, AirMail and Safari running its using 5.135 GB. Just order a 16GB kit for my wife's MBP which is a 2010 model. I wonder if Apple tests these OSs on older machines before they make blanket statements about how much better everything is going to work. Memory usage certainly should have had a few caveats.

Mar 8, 2014 5:18 AM in response to EmeraldV

Maybe I can share something

I just upgrade my 2009 MBP, replace my harddisk with SSD from Kingston, 120 GB. I have to activate the TRIM support using sudo command,

I use only 2GB of RAM, and recently I decide to upgrade from 10.7 to Maverick. All working good, compare to 10.7 maybe a little bit slower, like loading Illustrator i.e. with Maverick take 7 second but with 10.7 take 4-5 second. I dont mind to wait addition 2 second, it is just a blink of eyes.

I checked using activity monitor, the system used virtual memory, and because SSD is fast, then the delay is nothing. But is using harddisk as virtual memory, then it will be a nightmare

Hope this could help

Macbook Pro is barely usable after upgrading to Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.