Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally DELETED my "EFI" partition after uninstalling the Bootcamp Partition…. Now it won't let me update my 1.8 Firmware and OSX!! HELP PLEASE

I have a macbook 15 inch 2012 mid, i tried Windows bootcamp and decided i didn't really like it. So i turned back to MAC, and in DiskUtil i erased the Bootcamp partitions, and accidently deleted the EFI Partition that had like only 27 mb on it. I didn't think it was notthing but i did some more research on it....

MacBook Pro, MBP91.00D3. Pro Mid 2012, 15 inch.

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 12:35 PM

The EFI partition is used to store firmware updates, so they can be installed the next time you start up your Mac.

First, to try to recover it, try to repair the partition map. Hold Command and R keys while your Mac is starting up to start up into OS X Recovery, and open Disk Utility. Then, choose your hard drive at the top of the sidebar (the option with the model identifier of the hard drive, not with Macintosh HD) and repair it. The EFI partition should be created again, so try to install the EFI update again.

If it doesn't work, you will have to format the whole hard drive and reinstall Mac OS X

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2013 12:35 PM in response to PeterVoo

The EFI partition is used to store firmware updates, so they can be installed the next time you start up your Mac.

First, to try to recover it, try to repair the partition map. Hold Command and R keys while your Mac is starting up to start up into OS X Recovery, and open Disk Utility. Then, choose your hard drive at the top of the sidebar (the option with the model identifier of the hard drive, not with Macintosh HD) and repair it. The EFI partition should be created again, so try to install the EFI update again.

If it doesn't work, you will have to format the whole hard drive and reinstall Mac OS X

Nov 3, 2013 3:08 PM in response to LowLuster

@LowLuster : So if i reformat my Macbook and reinstall OSX, i shouldn't have this problem anymore? and i tried that. it didnt let me remove it from Bootcamp Assistant, the option was somehow greyed out.. Thanks for reply

@Mende1 : Thanks I hope my macbook would be just as new after this! and when this is done i would then have all the nessesary file to run updates and what not properly? Crazy how one little mistake could be sooooooo deverstating.

Nov 3, 2013 1:33 PM in response to mende1

I did the R+Command thingy, and the Disk ulit Repair. It unfortunatly didn't work 😟. The Firmware update still does the same thing. And thanks for the quick reply. But im sorta new with formating Macs. How would i start and go about this reformating process. I Know that i would have to backup my Files and im on that now. Teach me if you please on the steps to do this! 🙂

I accidentally DELETED my "EFI" partition after uninstalling the Bootcamp Partition…. Now it won't let me update my 1.8 Firmware and OSX!! HELP PLEASE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.