Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fCE 4.0 does not start anymore...

my FCE does not start anymore after updating the mac book pro system to snow leopard 10.6.8; besides that, the system asks me for an FCE update, but even when i install a software update to 4.01, after a reboot this software update is surprisingly not installed .. and the originally FCE 4.0 does not start... any suggestion would be helpful!!

thank you so much!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 12:04 PM

6 replies

Nov 4, 2013 3:17 AM in response to Meg The Dog

😕 i have trashed all the preferences with Preference Manager, and before doing this i repaired the Disk Permissions too - but FCE continued to crash (however: now i have the 4.01 update installed). so, i restarted the Disk Permission... it shows the same 'errors' as before, even after re-booting the MBP.

i re-installed FCE too, but wit the same result - it crashes while loading 'video effects'.

maybe something went wrong updating the system from snow leopard to snow leopard 10.6.8.. ? a bit confusing that the 'disk utility' finds again and again something to repair...

seems that a have to reinstall everything, what a mass... remembers me to old windows times... 😮

Nov 4, 2013 5:40 AM in response to bela27

Hello,

Do I understand your earlier message correctly, that you already had Snow Leopard (10.6.x) installed and FCE 4 ran fine. Then you updated your system to to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and now FCE does not run. Is that correct?

Do you have more than 1 user account on your Mac? If so, when you reinstalled FCE from scratch, did you install it in an admin (administrator) account? (Note: if there is only 1 user account on your Mac, it is an administrator account). FCE needs to be installed in an admin account ... and run in that account at least once ... before you try to run it in any other accounts on your Mac.

You say it crashes while "loading video effects." Did you recently install any effects or filters on your own? (That is, any filters or effects that did not come with FCE itself.) Do you have any other plugins installed for iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand, Aperture, Logic, or similar programs? Occasionally other plugins can affect FCE. It will be helpful tyo know if you recently installed any other software or plugins.

Nov 4, 2013 8:15 AM in response to MartinR

yes, i already had a previous Snow Leopard, running FCE without problems; after updating it to the last possible version - e.g. 10.6.8 - FCE crashed. i run FCE with an admin account (there is no other account on my MBP). although i have various of your mentioned installations like iMovie 11. iPhoto, GarageBand, it seems to be a problem coming directly with or the update to 10.6.8 or the update to FCE 4.01 (both were coming together, so i'm not sure which update causes exactly the problem, although the FCE update from 4.0 to 4.01 wasn't finished the first time).

however,solution: i made a so called PRAM reset (e.g. pressing Option + Cmd + P + R) during my last reboot (and i was already prepared with all the software for a complete re-install session of everything...), and: it goes!!!

seems that various updates can crash various preferences, including FCE, and a PRAM reset puts all the (wrong) preferences into the right places.

thank you so much for all the help!!

fCE 4.0 does not start anymore...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.