Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of my photos in Aperture are suddenly gone after i used a "clean" program on my mac to clean it. Now the whole aperture library is gone, and i am really freaking out. I have looked in all my files, and they are definitively gone.

Every single one of my photos in my Aperture library are gone. I have looked everywhere on my mac, and they are not there. I have never had a backup on my computer. Are there any hope to get them back? There are some really important photos in there, and i cant believe i lost them. Please help me!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 2:11 PM

7 replies

Nov 3, 2013 2:27 PM in response to noraskei

Wow, this doesn't sound good! Give us a little more info...maybe we can help.

What "clean program" did you use? Do you know if it puts the files it deletes ino the Trash?

Have you really never ever backed up up your startup drive? Like have you never used Time Machine? Or any other backup method? (Sorry, but certainly not a wise move if true.)

Did you ever create an Aperture vault sometime in the past?

When you imported your photos, did you choose a backup location? If so, are you photos there?

If you hold down the Option key when starting Aperture, what libraries are in the list? (Maybe you inadvertently created a new, empty Aperture library.)

Nov 3, 2013 2:31 PM in response to phosgraphis

I used a clean program called "CCleaner". Or, a friend of mine used it on my machine. All the files in the trash is gone too.

Never backed up anything, I know now that it was really, really, really stupid of me.

I checked if there are some other libraries, but it is just the one that was created today with not a single photo in it.

Please help me, im desperate. Is there anything apple can do?

Nov 3, 2013 2:35 PM in response to noraskei

You might try data recovery software. If your photos are jpeg files and not raw, programs like

Disk Drill: http://www.cleverfiles.com/ can retrieve the image files, but not restore your library. How many photos can be recovered, will depend on how full your drive has been, and how much you have written to your drive, since you cleaned the drive.

However, Disk Drill is not free. It will be an expensive lesson to get your photos back. You can run the program for free in trial mode, to see, if it can find any files, but to save them, you will have to buy the app.

If you are considering to do that, stop immediately to use the mac, for anything that might write to the disk and erase more of the files.

BTW: you remembered to look into the Trash in your Dock, did you?

Nov 3, 2013 2:36 PM in response to noraskei

Apple can't help you with this, sorry.

There are disk recovery programs out there that could possibly recover deleted files on your hard disk. So don't do anything else until you can try one of these. Unfortunately, I can't point you to a specific program since I've never had to use one.

Do a search for "mac hard disk recovery software" to get started.

Nov 3, 2013 2:47 PM in response to noraskei

What settings did you use? I looked at CCleaner's site -- let me start by suggesting that no-one use the product -- and found nothing that would indicate that it would wipe out user document files.

That's the good news: your files might actually still be on your drive.

The bad news: if it did wipe them, they are more than likely unrecoverable.

So -- agreeing with all the other posters here --

1. Don't use your Mac for anything until you get this sorted

2. Find someone comfortable with the file system and the OS. Have them determine what CC did, and what the current state of your files (and in particular your Aperture Library and the Images' Originals) is.

Good luck.

All of my photos in Aperture are suddenly gone after i used a "clean" program on my mac to clean it. Now the whole aperture library is gone, and i am really freaking out. I have looked in all my files, and they are definitively gone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.