Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone tethering under OS X Mavericks

I am unable to tether my iphone to my macbook under OSX Mavericks. I use Tether. Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

iPhone 4S, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 4:21 PM

70 replies

Nov 13, 2013 3:18 PM in response to robertfromdelmar

Same problem here. I have been trying to contact tether.com for two weeks and the best response I got from them was to sign up to their email list and I will get an answer there. Their tech support is non-existent. I will be requesting a refund for my and my employees accounts. They should have been ready for this as beta was out all summer. Very disappointing.

Nov 15, 2013 1:48 PM in response to robertfromdelmar

I used information from several posts online regarding making Airport Utility 5.6 work on Mavericks and changed it to work with Tether. In a nutshell, you need to provide the Apple80211.framework library from Mountain Lion and tell Tether to use that instead of the Mavericks version.

Original posts:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1611045

http://coreyjmahler.com/2013/10/24/airport-utility-5-6-1-on-os-x-10-9-mavericks/

My steps:

Downloaded the Airport Utility 5.6.1 Launcher.app from the coreyjmahler.com site

Make a folder called Tether, placed Tether app inside.

Opened the AppleScript Editor in my Utilities folder and used the code below, saving it as an application called "Tether Launcher" in my newly created Tether Folder

Control-Clicked on the Tether Launcher.app and chose Show Package Contents.

In another window I control-clicked the AirPort Utility 5.6.1 Launcher.app

Opened the Contents folder, then the Resources folder for both.

Copied the older Apple80211.framework folder from AirPort Utility 5.6.1 Launcher.app to Tether Launcher.app

For the first run I Control-clicked the Tether Launcher.app and selected Open (otherwise you'll get unidentified developer errors)

It is working on my white unibody 13" MacBook from 2010 running Mavericks. Don't have any other machines to try it on.

Applescript is below this line:

tell application "Finder"

set currentDir to POSIX path of ((container of (path to me)) as text)

end tell

set currentDir to quoted form of currentDir

set lib80211 to quoted form of "Tether Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Apple80211"

do shell script "

export DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=" & currentDir & lib80211 & "

cd " & currentDir & "Tether.app/Contents/MacOS

./Tether"

Nov 16, 2013 11:01 AM in response to erik clark

Erik,

Thanks for the work around above. But I'm having issues with two machines running Mavericks. Fortunately, the issues are not the old ones.

The old error message, that is before your work around, was "Symbol not found: _WirelessIsAvailable".

The new error message, after your work around, is "launch path not accessible".

In my setup currentDir = 'Applications/Tether/'

lib80211 = 'Tether Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Apple80211'

I created the Tether folder under /Applications.

My machine is a MacBookPro 15" mid 2012. However the Mavericks installation is on a external USB 3 drive and not the internal hard drive. I don't think that is causing the path issue, becuase I also tried a mid 2010 Mac Mini running Mavericks using the internal hard drive.

Where did you create the Tether folder? Could that be my issue?

I think I've made some error interpretting your steps. I'm hoping you could shed some light on my attempts to install your work around.

Steve

Nov 16, 2013 3:16 PM in response to skallal

I copied the way it was done in the Airport Utility thread, so in the script I posted both the Tether.app and the Tether Launcher.app are together in the Tether folder.

The line "set currentDir to POSIX path of ((container of (path to me)) as text)" is telling OS X to look in the same folder as the Tether Launcher.app.

The Tether folder should be able to be moved wherever you want once both apps are in it.

Nov 16, 2013 8:59 PM in response to erik clark

I looked at the Airport Utility thread and noticed the existing Mavericks Airport Utility is replaced w/ 5.6.1. I did NOT do that but simply copied the Apple80211 framework as you described.

So if you copied the way it was done in the Airport Utility thread, then you installed version 5.6.1 as an app as well as copy the the Apple80211 framework to Tether Launcher.app. Correct?

Nov 18, 2013 1:20 PM in response to erik clark

After getting the Launch path not accessible error on my laptop this morning I think I finally figured out what is happening. I swear I had it working friday before I left work. Must have tested before I created the tether folder and moved everything into it.

Moved Tether Launcher.app directly into the Applications folder. Deleted the tether folder I had created. Deleted and re-installed the tether.app directly into the Applications folder also. Now it is working. In fact, I am sending this reply through my tethered macbook.

User uploaded file

Nov 18, 2013 1:44 PM in response to robertfromdelmar

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm not familiar with Tether. Why is it needed if one has an iPhone running iOS7? I tether my iPhone to my Mac over Wi-Fi by turning on the Personal Hotspot. I measured over 40 Mbps bandwith over LTE (faster than my cable modem).

Is it that Tether was needed for older iOS versions and may still be needed for Androids?

Nov 18, 2013 8:38 PM in response to robertfromdelmar

Here is my version of the procedure described by Erik. I hope it is helps!

1. Verify Tether.app is installed in the /Applications folder.

2. Go to http://coreyjmahler.com/download/airport-utility-5-6-1-launcher/ click on download button to download Airport Utility 5.6.1 Launcher.app.

3. Locate AirPort-Utility-5.6.1.zip in your download folder in Finder. If your Safari browser is set to the defaults, it will already be extracted to folder named “AirPort-Utility-5.6.1”.

4. Open the above folder in Finder. There should be an application named “AirPort Utility 5.6.1 Launcher.app”. Control click on the application and select “Show Package Contents”. Expand the folders to Contents/Resources. Note the “Apple80211.framework” folder.

5. Open AppleScript editor and click “New Document” button. Copy and paste the following code block (between the lines) into the editor:

———————————————————————————————————————————

tell application "Finder"

set currentDir to POSIX path of ((container of (path to me)) as text)

end tell

set currentDir to quoted form of currentDir

set lib80211 to quoted form of "Tether Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Apple80211"

do shell script "

export DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=" & currentDir & lib80211 & "

cd " & currentDir & "Tether.app/Contents/MacOS

./Tether"

———————————————————————————————————————————

Click the compile button. There should be no errors. Click File > Save. Select Application as File Format. Select Applications as the folder. Enter “Tether Launcher” as the name.

5. Open another Finder tab or window. Verify there is an application named “Tether Launcher” located in the /Applications folder.

6. Control click the “Tether Launcher” application just created and select “Show Package Contents”. Expand the folders to Contents/Resources.

7. Go to the other Finder window and Control click the “Apple80211.framework” folder, from step 4 above, and select “Copy”.

8. Return to the other Finder window, in step 4 above, and locate the Contents/Resources folder. Paste the “Apple80211.framework” folder into this folder.

9. The new way to run Tether is double click “Tether Launcher” application in the Applications folder. If the above steps were done correctly, Tether should load and run exactly as it did under Mountain Lion.

Once an updated version of Tether is released, “Tether Launcher” should no longer be needed and the Tether application can be launched directly.

Iphone tethering under OS X Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.