Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.5 on OS X 10.9

Updated iMac to Mavericks & the new Aperture 3.5. Unable to update my vaults. They run about half way thru & then Aperture crashes. I have to close. Reboot iMac & relaunch Aperture.

Aperture 3

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 4:57 PM

25 replies

Nov 4, 2013 6:07 AM in response to cayenne65

How are your drives formatted? A vault is essentially an Aperture library and needs to be on a drive formatted MacOS X Extended journaled. Previous versions of Aperture tried to work with incorrectly formatted drives, but Aperture 3.5 is checking the formatting and will not open a lbrary on a drive with the wrong formatting. Your NAS has probably a different filesystem, since a NAS requires special software, and what is the formatting of your USB drive?

Nov 4, 2013 7:27 AM in response to léonie

For many years I had never a single issue with the vault on NAS ( Synology) starting with Aperture 2 till now.

Yes, it is most probably Synology proprietary format and it's a pity that Apple didn't mentioned vault limitation on 3.5 release notes.

Yeah, I don't need the iCloud Photo Sharing but I DO NEED the vaults

My USB disc is Mac OS Extended Journaled. Aperture is not responding as I see it at the Dock and in the system. However the disc is working and the file size is continuously growing, currently 170 GB with expected size approx. 220 GB.

I will post final results in a few hours.

Nov 5, 2013 6:11 AM in response to cayenne65

Just to continue the topic...

Updating the vault continued for another 4 hours with Aperture still in "not responding" mode.

But after that time the was no disc activity so I decided to force quit of Aperture.

Then I restarted it againg and started to update the vault once again.

Aperture went into "not responding" again but this time for approx 20 min and then...

.. the green colour confirmed that vault is up to date and working !!!

With the NAS vault there is no progress at all.

So I presume that it needs to be a Mac OS Extended Journaled volume, but there should be a fix for Aperture to communicate with Maverics properly and not showing "not responding" message.

Nov 8, 2013 6:51 AM in response to dsloan

Back to my iMac now. All three external HDs are:

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

How are your drives connected? If you are having them daisy-chained or are using a HUB, try to connect the drive with the vault directly. There have been reports that Mavericks sometimes has problems with daisy-chained drives or certain USB HUBs.

Re: Copying aperture library from one external disk to another fails with error -36

Nov 8, 2013 11:33 AM in response to dsloan

All three external HDs are connected directly to the iMac. My primary photo drive is an 800 firewire, the secondary drive that backs up the primary is a 400 firewire. They drive I'm trying to save the vault to is a USB 2.0. The Aperture Library is located on the iMac internal HD and is about 135GB in size. 95% of the files are referenced to the primary external photo HD. The rest are managed images within the Aperture Library.

I have deleted the failed Vault and will try to create a new one again. I have left it running for quite a long time. The problem is that Aperture crashes and I have to reboot and restart...to no avail.

Nov 25, 2013 8:23 AM in response to dsloan

My original post on Nov 3...

Updated iMac to Mavericks & the new Aperture 3.5. Unable to update my vaults. They run about half way thru & then Aperture crashes. I have to close. Reboot iMac & relaunch Aperture.

I've tried everything that Apple has suggested. I've reformatted the external drives and verified the permissions.

Vaults update just fine on my 15" MBPro onto my external drive.

Aperture crashes in the middle of creating or updated a vault on my iMac onto my external drives.

Downloading Photoshop & Lightroom 5 even as I type.

Nov 30, 2013 11:44 AM in response to dsloan

Yes, I am getting frustrated and disappointed with Aperture, as well. I used to love this program, it would fly though pictures and I'd be able to get phenomenal results. Now it's drag, drag, drag.

All of my photos and vaults are on an external Hitachi 3TB hd formatted as Mac extended journalled. It connects to the iMac via FW 800. Nearly 100% of my files are referenced to this drive. Most of the originals are raw files from a Canon 5d MkII.

Recently I have noticed severe lag between applying and the apperance of effects. Things are very slow to load. After using Aperture for a while it bogs horribly, so badly it become unusable. I have to quit and restart Aperture, but it doesn't clear the memory completely and quickly bogs again. Memory leak?

At this point I thought updating the library would be a good idea. Now it gets stuck at about 1/8th of the way (right at the end of the word "Updating" where it says "Updating vault ...") then hangs, with spinning pinwheel and the dock says "Application not responding."

Really, if this is the way Aperture behaves while doing something complex, they need to make the user very aware of that fact, because in my experience these are the signs of a dead program.

I am also going to uninstall all of my plugins to see what happens, speciffically Nik/google, much as it pains me. That might speed it up as well.

Aperture 3.5 on OS X 10.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.