9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2013 8:01 AM by léonie
L Wan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Good Evening... I appreciate any feedback any of you can give me! What I am looking to do is import my photo library from my airport time capsule backup of my old MBP into aperture on my new MBPr.   This would be over my home network.  One question I have is, I started with iphoto on the old MBP, merged libraries when I moved to aperture, and used both apps frequently.  The library on the time machine is a iphoto library. - Will this be a problem going into straight aperture, with no iphoto on my laptop? and then.... how do I do that! - I have tried to research this but have not come across the iphoto library going into aperture...  Thank you!

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, LATE 2013), iOS 7.0.3
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (79,540 points)

The library on the time machine is a iphoto library. - Will this be a problem going into straight aperture, with no iphoto on my laptop?

Before Aperture can import a time machine backup of an iPhoto Library, it needs to be restored as an iPhoto library. Restore the library to a drive, where you have enaough space to store the restored library and to upgrade it to the newest format.

And if the iPhoto version on your earlier Mac was created by an older iPhoto version, it will have to be upgraded to a matching iPhoto version, if you want to open it in aperture.

What are your iPhoto versions and Aperture versions? You may need to install iPhoto on your new Mac, if the restored  iPhoto library needs upgrading and cannot be upgraded on your old mac.

-- Léonie

• L Wan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you! The aperture version on my new MBPr is the latest, the iPhoto should have been current.  How do I do,a restore to my external. Unfortunately, I need step by step instructions :-(

I really appreciate your time answering my question!! Thank you!

The reason I ask about the restore is that I when I enter the time machine, the restore button is not highlighted  - I can' restore that way... I can view the back up in time machine backups, just don't know what to do with it :-(

The restore button should become active, as asoon as you select an item to be restored.

Was your iPhoto library in your Pictures folder?  To restore, open the folder where your library should have been in the Finder, before you enter Time Machine. This way, the folder will show directly when you enter the Time Tunnel.

Since the backup is from another mac, use "Browse other Backup Disks" option, see this help text by the Great Pondini:

http://pondini.org/TM/17.html

Dive back in time, until you see your iPhoto library, and select the library. Then opt to restore to a different location, see:  http://pondini.org/TM/15.html

Reagrds

Léonie

• where you have enaough space to store the restored library and to upgrade it to the newest format.

And if the iPhoto version on your earlier Mac was created by an older iPhoto version, it will have to be upgraded to a matching iPhoto version, if you want to open it in aperture.

What are your iPhoto versions and Aperture versions? You may need to install iPhoto on your new Mac, if the restored  iPhoto library needs upgrading and cannot be upgraded on your old mac.

-- Léonie

Leonie - by upgrading to the newest format, do you mean import into aperture after I have restored the library onto the external HD? or how would I upgrade it?

The iphoto version on old mac was iphoto '11 version 9.4.3, new mac '11, 9.5.

Also.... I would like to leave the library on my external, as it is 185 GB...

Leonie - by upgrading to the newest format, do you mean import into aperture after I have restored the library onto the external HD? or how would I upgrade it?

Aperture can only import iPhoto libraries if the format is matching.

If your current Aperture version on the new Mac is Aperture 3.5, you should open the iPhoto library in iPhoto 9.5 once it has been restored on your external drive.  Launch iPhoto with the ⌥-key held down and select the restored library to open.  That will upgrade it to the latest version, and then Aperture 3.5 can import the library as library, when you select File > Import > Library.

Also.... I would like to leave the library on my external, as it is 185 GB...

Importing the library to Aperture will merge it into your current Aperture library. Do you have enough space for that?  Alternately you can open the iPhoto library in Aperture and use it as an Aperure library, after iPhoto upgraded it to 9.5.  While still in iPhoto and viewing the restored  library, use the command "File > Open Library in Aperture".

Regards

Léonie

Thank you!  Which is the optimal way to work with aperture, importing the iphoto library or opening the iphoto library in aperture?

Thank you!  Which is the optimal way to work with aperture, importing the iphoto library or opening the iphoto library in aperture?

That depends.

Aperture can cope with huge libraries. You only need the space to accomadate them on your drive.  I prefer to have all my photos in one single library, so that I do not need to switch between libraries, if I want to make an album of images taken in different years, fow example an album of all my pictures of lighthouses or windmills.

But you may want to keep a small library with the images you are currently working on, on the internal drive of your MBP, and the bulk of the photos in a second library on the external drive.

You are welcome