Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The lock icon on the network preferences is missing.

Is there a way to get the admin authorization back? I just upgraded to Maverick. The lock icon on the network preferences is missing. Also, below is a permission verification problem.

Group differs on “Library/Java”; should be 0; group is 80.

Permissions differ on “Library/Java”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxr-x .

Group differs on “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions differ on “System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/libruby.2.0.dyli b”; should be lrwxrwxrwx ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions verification complete

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 10:44 PM

Open System Preferences and select Security & Privacy.

Click the lock icon and authenticate.

Click the Advanced tab and enable the "Require an Administrator..." setting.

OK the change and then lock the S&P preference pane

Now when you open the Network preference pane you will have your lock.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2013 10:44 PM in response to ijquest

Open System Preferences and select Security & Privacy.

Click the lock icon and authenticate.

Click the Advanced tab and enable the "Require an Administrator..." setting.

OK the change and then lock the S&P preference pane

Now when you open the Network preference pane you will have your lock.

Nov 4, 2013 12:33 AM in response to PAHU

Thanks, It has reappeared, but I am able to check and uncheck "Require password immedialy..." box and change my password with the lock icon locked. This should not happen, correct? I was able to change my password in the user account preference pane without unlocking the lock icon also. I created another post right after this one after I checked some console logs. Are you able to search for this post by my ijquest user name? I didn't see a reference number associated with the post. I truely appreciate your help.

Nov 4, 2013 1:22 AM in response to ijquest

ijquest wrote:

but I am able to check and uncheck "Require password immedialy..." box and change my password with the lock icon locked. This should not happen, correct?

Given that you are logged in as that user, and most likely the admin user of the Mac, then it makes sense that you can change your own settings. If you were logged in as a different user, then you would not have access to change the settings for this admin account.

ijquest wrote:

I created another post right after this one after I checked some console logs. Are you able to search for this post by my ijquest user name? I didn't see a reference number associated with the post. I truely appreciate your help.

For your user, I can only see the following posts which appear to have been created one and three hours ago.

USER ACCOUNT PASSWORD CHANGE WITHOUT REQUIRED UNLOCK LOCK ICON REQUIREMENT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.