Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QT Kit Server Safari (not responding)

Ever since I got Mavericks my computer has been painfully slow, won't play movies in iTunes, tries to convert any .mov movie, won't play .flv at all, and almost cannot perform two tasks at once...I have to shut down an application to get another one to respond.

I've been using Activity Monitor and the virtual memory hog used to be QuickLook Helper which I would have to Force Quit several times per day. That would free up enough memory to return things to normal.

Now, I don't find QuickLook Helper using a ton of memory. Great. They fixed something. Problem is, now I have NO ANSWER or solution to speed up my mac.

Alright, this week I've found when I'm using Activity Monitor, I find this process is often not responding and is in RED print:

QTKitServer-(3991) Safari (Not Responding)

I've done a search on this and the only things that come back are responses from when Lion was released. There were only 4 discussions on this form about this.

Anyone know what this process is for? Is this what is slowing down my Mac? Should I force quit this process or ignore it?

I'd appreciate any input, I'm trying to eliminate issues that may be hampering performance,

THANKS!

C

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2 Tb recently installed hard drive

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 8:34 PM

2 replies

Nov 5, 2013 6:07 PM in response to James Williams2

I had the same problem in the activity monitor "QTKitServer-(3991) Safari (Not Responding)".
It seems related to some old pluging or extention for Safari which is not compatible with the new Safari & Mavericks. Check old plugins for Quicktime like Perian and ensure to update plugins such as FlipforMac if you have it installed (codecs to play Windows Media files on Quicktime). In my case that plugin was the problem, I removed it and the error has gone. I saw that FlipforMac has just been updated for Mavericks so I guess if the new version is installed it will be ok now. This solved the problem for me, however I did not have any slow response or memory problem, it was all just fine except the non-responding plugin... Hope this helps

Andrea

QT Kit Server Safari (not responding)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.