Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yesterday I rented a movie and downloaded it to itunes on my PC. I couldn't make it play through my Apple TV? I ended up renting it a 2nd time directly to my Apple TV. Can anyone help with this?

Yesterday I rented a movie from the itunes store and downloaded it to my PC which runs Windows 7. I could play it on my computer. I tried to watch it through my Apple TV but couldn't find anywhere how to do this. I ended up renting it a 2nd time directly through the Apple TV. Can anyone tell me how to move or transfer the rental from my PC to the Apple TV?

AppleTV 2, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 9:35 PM

5 replies

Nov 6, 2013 2:18 PM in response to RIAMA

Hi RIAMA,

Movies purchased on a computer can only be transfered to 1st Generation AppleTV's; for 2nd and 3rd Gen AppleTV's, the movie must be rented directly on the AppleTV. You may find the following articles helpful:

Apple Support: How to rent a movie from the iTunes Store on your computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1390

Apple Support: How to rent a movie from the iTunes Store on Apple TV

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1498

Regards,

- Brenden

Nov 6, 2013 4:21 PM in response to brenden dv

I'm afraid that information is incorrect.

With AppleTV 2 and 3 a movie rented in iTunes will be available under the Computers icon under a Rentals row provided ATV and computer are on the same network, both turned on and iTunes running with Home Sharing enabled.

The movie must download to iTunes completely before being available to play via AppleTV menus. Not sure if you can Airplay it by choosing AppleTV as a destination before the download completes. (I don't mean Airplay Mirroring)

AC

Yesterday I rented a movie and downloaded it to itunes on my PC. I couldn't make it play through my Apple TV? I ended up renting it a 2nd time directly to my Apple TV. Can anyone help with this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.