Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and when I connected it to my old 30" cinema display it worked, however (1) I cannot close the Macbook screen without loosing the cinema display and (2) I cannot changer the macbook as the port has changed...help please!

I just bought a new MacBook Pro (Retina) and when I connected it to my (old) 30" cinema display it worked, however:

(1) I cannot close the screen without loosing the cinema display and

(2) I cannot charge the macbook as the port has changed...help please!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.3, Cinema Display

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 6:33 AM

Hey bob le mac,

I should be able to help with both questions.

Part 1:

Sounds like you want to use "closed clamshell" or "closed display" mode, which is what we call the use of an external display or projector while the internal display is closed. You can read about how to do that here:

Requirements for closed display mode:

• Power adapter
  • External keyboard, mouse, or trackpad
  • External display

Use these steps to enable closed clamshell (display closed) mode:

If you are using a wired keyboard and mouse:

1. Make sure the computer is plugged in to an outlet using the AC power adapter.
  2. Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your computer.
  3. With the computer turned on connect the Mac notebook (using the appropriate Apple adapter if necessary) to the appropriate port on the external display or projector and turn the display or projector on.
  4. After your computer's Desktop appears on the external display, close the computer's lid.
  5. When you close the lid:
    • In OS X Lion and later, the external display will change to a blue screen, then will show your desktop.
    • In Mac OS X v10.6.8 and earlier, wake the computer up by clicking the mouse button or by pressing a key on your external keyboard.

You should now be able to use your Mac notebook as you normally would, with a USB keyboard and mouse.

If you are using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on a Bluetooth enabled Mac notebook:

1. Make sure the computer is plugged in to an outlet using the AC power adapter.
  2. Verify that Bluetooth is turned on by using the Bluetooth pane of System Preferences or the Bluetooth menu icon.
  3. Pair your Bluetooth keyboard or mouse with the computer. For step-by-step instructions, see this article forkeyboard pairing or see this article for mouse pairing.
  4. In System Preferences, be sure that the Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer option is selected.
  5. With the computer turned on connect the Mac notebook (using the appropriate Apple adapter if necessary) to the appropriate port on the external display or projector and turn the display or projector on.
  6. After your computer's Desktop appears on the external display, close the computer's lid.
  7. When you close the lid:
    • In OS X Lion and later, the external display will change to a blue screen, then will show your desktop.
    • In Mac OS X v10.6.8 and earlier, wake the computer up by clicking the mouse button or by pressing a key on your external keyboard.

via: Mac notebooks: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

Part 2:

Sounds like you might need a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter, which allows you to use the MagSafe connector on your LED Cinema Display, Thunderbolt Display, or MagSafe Power Adapter to charge your MagSafe 2-equipped Mac computer.

via: MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD504ZM/A/magsafe-to-magsafe-2-converter

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Delgadoh

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2013 6:33 AM in response to bob le mac

Hey bob le mac,

I should be able to help with both questions.

Part 1:

Sounds like you want to use "closed clamshell" or "closed display" mode, which is what we call the use of an external display or projector while the internal display is closed. You can read about how to do that here:

Requirements for closed display mode:

• Power adapter
  • External keyboard, mouse, or trackpad
  • External display

Use these steps to enable closed clamshell (display closed) mode:

If you are using a wired keyboard and mouse:

2. Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your computer.
  3. With the computer turned on connect the Mac notebook (using the appropriate Apple adapter if necessary) to the appropriate port on the external display or projector and turn the display or projector on.
  4. After your computer's Desktop appears on the external display, close the computer's lid.
  5. When you close the lid:

You should now be able to use your Mac notebook as you normally would, with a USB keyboard and mouse.

If you are using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on a Bluetooth enabled Mac notebook:

2. Verify that Bluetooth is turned on by using the Bluetooth pane of System Preferences or the Bluetooth menu icon.
  3. Pair your Bluetooth keyboard or mouse with the computer. For step-by-step instructions, see this article forkeyboard pairing or see this article for mouse pairing.
  4. In System Preferences, be sure that the Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer option is selected.
  5. With the computer turned on connect the Mac notebook (using the appropriate Apple adapter if necessary) to the appropriate port on the external display or projector and turn the display or projector on.
  6. After your computer's Desktop appears on the external display, close the computer's lid.
  7. When you close the lid:

via: Mac notebooks: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

Part 2:

Sounds like you might need a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter, which allows you to use the MagSafe connector on your LED Cinema Display, Thunderbolt Display, or MagSafe Power Adapter to charge your MagSafe 2-equipped Mac computer.

via: MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD504ZM/A/magsafe-to-magsafe-2-converter

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Delgadoh

Jan 18, 2014 11:44 AM in response to bob le mac

What if I want to use both displays (the 30" cinima display and my Macbook Pro retina display)? When I want to work again after I've closed the macbook and shut off the retina display, the Macbook wakes up fine, and the cinema display is on, but with a black screen. System preferences recognizes the cinema display, but the Macbook cursor doesn't, in that it will only stay on the Macbook screen. Turning the power off/on on the cinema display doesn't help. I end up having to shut down the Macbook and turn it back on. The cinema display worked fine with my 2009 Macbook Pro. Any ideas? Thank you!

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and when I connected it to my old 30" cinema display it worked, however (1) I cannot close the Macbook screen without loosing the cinema display and (2) I cannot changer the macbook as the port has changed...help please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.