Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail account greyed out in mail

I have a problem with my gmail account on my iPhone 5s, I've already had it with the iPhone 5 after installing iOS7 and recreating the mail accounts.

I have two Gmail accounts in my mail app. The first account works perfectly. The second account is configured like the first one BUT after receiving mails the account (the whole account) is greyed out for about 10 to 15 minutes. The Gmail app itself works fine, it's just the problem with the iOS mail app.

Does anybody know why this happens?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 12:54 AM

13 replies

Nov 6, 2013 3:31 PM in response to Wallmersbacher

Hi, I do have the same pb : entering the inbox of a specific account which greys out after first reading.

I have no solution but There is a way around it : If you close the mail app and restart it, you can access back to the inbox and read your mail. But after checking another account it greys back again.

I use gmail. I am wondering if an app I donwloaded and gave access to my gmail account did not mess up the gmail account itself. I checked in gmail and took off the authorization of this app. + deleted the app from Iphone. No change.

Also if I add the mail account on antoher iphone or ipad the same problems comes back.

I have more than 10 accounts on the iphone and only this one creates pb.

Mar 9, 2014 7:36 AM in response to Wallmersbacher

I have this problem on iPad mini and iphone 4 & 4s. It grey then out at random and at some points greys out all inboxes. The workaround to use other and set up the email account using IMAP servers on gmail is useful but doesn't cater for the calendars. I use all three with calendars. I have done this for a long time in iOS 6.

Apple please resolve this annoying bug as soon as possible my life is getting harder instead of easier using technology. :-/

Feb 10, 2016 7:24 PM in response to tigran-a

I have been suffering exactly from the same problem on my iPhone since iOS7, I think. Now I am on iOS9, but the problem was still there.

After going through several forums, I found out a good workaroud was to create 2 entries for the same Gmail account:

1. an entry to sync my emails choosing "Other" instead of "Google" and then configuring the account by hand (this would solve the grayed out problem)

2. an entry to sync contacts and calendars choosing "Google"

Now I tried tigran-a suggestion, after creating a single "Google" account for emails, contacts and calendars and then changing the language to English through my Gmail account web interface (General Settings): this solution would also work!

However, I would have liked to find a final solution to the problem, instead of a workaroud!

At last, today I have been able to solve this long-lasting mystery, al least in my case.

In my inbox I had several folders to organize my emails, say folder1, folder2, folder3, etc. Such folders appeared with their regular name both in my iOS mail client and in Thunderbird (the email client I'm using on my PC); however, in the Gmail web interface, the name of one of those folders was prefixed by INBOX/ for some strange reason unknown to me (say INBOX/folder3). After removing the INBOX/ prefix from the name, the iOS problem was fixed!

Hope this solution can apply to someone else.

Oct 26, 2016 1:21 AM in response to mitico_taurus

Yess finallyy... Thank you mitico_taurus !

After logging-in to gmail from web, I found out that several folders (actually tags) with "INBOX/" prefix. I removed them one by one and viola! The greyed out accounts turned black ink. I tried it in two different gmail accounts and they instantly corrected. I have been hunting for this solution for years. Now they are working flawlessley (fingers crossed).

Solution in simple to others:

1) Log-in from safari to your email at mail.google.com

2) Search for tags on the left column

3) See if there is any tags that start with "INBOX/..." (ex. INBOX/family)

4) Click on the arrow and edit the tag and delete "INBOX/" (ex. family)

5) Make sure you do it for all tags on the column.

6) Exit from safari

7) Restart your mail app on ios, control your mails again by dragging down!

8) You are there!

Gmail account greyed out in mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.